Surgical Treatment in Newborns of Necrotizing Enterocolitis
Great controversy surrounds the indications for surgery in infants with NEC. While many respond to intensive medical treatment, in up to 50% more severe NEC develops, requiring surgical intervention. As with the lack of consensus regarding indications for surgical intervention, there is a lack of consensus concerning the ideal surgical management of infants with NEC. Surgical options depend primarily on the extent of intestinal disease and the clinical stability of the infant. In addition to surgery in the acute phase, a number of infants develop late complications of NEC, either following medical or previous surgical treatment, and these complications may require surgical intervention. Clear knowledge of these outcomes is important in counseling parents and in assessing the effectiveness of treatments.
- Albanese CT, Rowe MI (1998) Necrotizing Enterocolitis. In: O’Neill JA Jr, Rowe MI, Grosfeld JL, Fonkalsrud EW, Coran AG (eds) Pediatric Surgery, vol 2, 5th edn. Mosby, St Louis, pp 1297–1332Google Scholar
- Marshall DG (1975) Peritoneal drainage under local anesthesia for necrotizing enterocolitis perforation. In: January 1975. Winnipeg, ManitobaGoogle Scholar
- Moss RL, Dimmitt RA, Barnhart DC, Sylvester KG, Brown RL, Powell DM, Islam S, Langer JC, Sato TT, Brandt ML, Lee H, Blakely ML, Lazar EL, Hirschl RB, Kenney BD, Hackam DJ, Zelterman D, Silverman BL (2006) Laparotomy versus peritoneal drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis and perforation. N Engl J Med 354(21):2225–2234CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ron O, Davenport M, Patel S, Kiely E, Pierro A, Hall NJ, Ade-Ajayi N (2009) Outcomes of the “clip and drop” technique for multifocal necrotizing enterocolitis. J Pediatr Surg 44(4):749–754. doi:S0022–3468(08)00825–7 [pii]; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2008.09.031
- STAT Trial (2012) http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN01700960
- Yikilmaz A, Hall NJ, Daneman A, Gerstle JT, Navarro OM, Moineddin R, Pleasants H, Pierro A (2014) Prospective evaluation of the impact of sonography on the management and surgical intervention of neonates with necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr Surg Int 30(12):1231–1240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-014-3613-8CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar