Church, A. Timothy
Early Life and Educational Background
Austin Timothy Church was born on November 1, 1948, in Evanston, Illinois, USA. In 1970, he completed a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania, graduating Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa. In 1976, he completed a Master of Science degree in computer science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 1985, he completed his Ph.D. in counseling psychology and psychometrics at the University of Minnesota under the supervision of Auke Tellegen. For his doctoral dissertation, he investigated indigenous conceptions, structure, and assessment of healthy personality in the Philippines.
From 1982-1984, while conducting research in the Philippines for his dissertation, A. Timothy Church was a visiting professor in the Department of Counseling and Guidance at De La Salle University in Manila, Philippines. In 1985, he began a 30-year career in the APA-accredited counseling psychology...
- Church, A. T., Anderson-Harumi, C. A., del Prado, A. M., Curtis, G., Tanaka-Matsumi, J., Valdez-Medina, J. L., Mastor, K. A., White, F. A., Miramontes, L. A., & Katigbak, M. S. (2008). Culture, cross-role consistency, and adjustment: Testing trait and cultural psychology perspectives. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 739–755.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Church, A. T., Alvarez, J. M., Mai, N. T. Q., French, B. F., Katigbak, M. S., & Ortiz, F. A. (2011). Are cross-cultural comparisons of personality profiles meaningful? Differential item and facet functioning in the Revised NEO Personality Inventory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 1068–1089.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ching, C. M., Church, A. T., Katigbak, M. S., Reyes, J. A. S., Tanaka-Matsumi, J., Takaoka, S., Zhang, H., Shen, J., Mazuera Arias, R., Rincon, B. C., & Ortiz, F. A. (2014). The manifestation of traits in everyday behavior and affect: A five-culture study. Journal of Research in Personality, 48, 1–16.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Church, A. T., Katigbak, M. S., Mazuera-Arias, R., Rincon, B. C., Vargas-Flores, J., Ibanez-Reyes, J., Wang, L., Alvarez, J. M., Wang, C., & Ortiz, F. A. (2014). A four-culture study of self-enhancement and adjustment using the social relations model: Do alternative conceptualizations and indices make a difference. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 106, 997–1014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Church, A. T. (Ed.) (2017). The Praeger handbook of personality across cultures (3 volumes). Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO/Praeger.Google Scholar