O’Brien, Edward J.
Edward J. O’Brien is a clinical psychologist with interests in interpersonal, cognitive-experiential, and trait views of self-esteem and narcissism, self-esteem change, research methodology in clinical and personality psychology, body image, traumatic stress, and coping.
Early Life and Educational Background
O’Brien was born in Parsons, Kansas, in 1949, the oldest of three children. His father operated a family farm and his mother was an X-Ray technician and nurse. His early years were spent working on the family farm. After the deaths of his parents in 1988, he continued to operate this Centennial Farm that has been continuously owned by four generations in his family, going back to 1884 when his great grandparents homesteaded land in Kansas before towns were incorporated in the area. O’Brien also worked in other manual labor jobs as a youth and young adult, including working for a wire products company, a grain elevator, a clothing manufacturing company, a local medical center, and...
- Bartoletti, M. M. (2006). Effectiveness of Mruk’s self-esteem change program on psychological and physiological measures of well-being (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations Publishing (UMI No. 3302983).Google Scholar
- Jeffreys, D. J., Leitzel, J. D., Cabral, G., Gumpert, J., Hartley, E., Lare, D., Nagy, N. M., O’Brien, E. J., Salvaterra, M., Strobino, J., & Charlton, N. (1997). Military adolescents: Their strengths and vulnerabilities. Technical Report, Adolescent Project. Scranton: Military Family Institute, Marywood University.Google Scholar
- Mruk, C. R., & O’Brien, E. J. (2013). Changing self-esteem through competence and worthiness training: A positive therapy. In V. Zeigler-Hill (Ed.), Self-esteem (pp. 163–179). New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, E. J. (1978). The stability of personality traits. Comprehensive Examination paper. Amherst: The University of Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, E. J., & Epstein, S. (1988). MSEI: The multidimensional self-esteem inventory (MSEI). Odessa: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc..Google Scholar
- O’Brien, E. J., Bartoletti, M., & Leitzel, J. (2006a). Self-esteem, psychopathology, and psychotherapy. In M. Kernis (Ed.), Self-esteem: Issues and answers (pp. 306–315). New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, E. J., Bartoletti, M., Leitzel, J., & O’Brien, J. P. (2006b). Global self-esteem: Divergent and convergent validity issues. In M. Kernis (Ed.), Self-esteem: Issues and answers (pp. 26–35). New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar