Finn, Stephen E.
Early Life and Educational Background
Stephen Edward Finn was born on January 8, 1956 in Syracuse, New York, USA.
He was valedictorian of his high school class in Canastota, NY, graduating in 1974. He was awarded a full scholarship to Haverford College, and in 1978, he completed his Bachelor of Arts (magna cum laude) in Psychology, working with Douglas A. Davis and Jeanne Marecek (of Swarthmore College). While at Haverford, Finn studied abroad two times (in Spain and in France) and after graduation, he lived for a year in Germany, helping to teach statistics to psychology students at the University of Göttingen. He returned to the United States in 1979 and entered the graduate program in Clinical Psychology at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. There he fell in love with psychological assessment and was greatly influenced by the humanistic assessment approach used by Ada Hegion, Kenneth Hampton, and Zigfrieds Stelmachers at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. Finn...
- Finn, S. E. (1996a). A manual for using the MMPI-2 as a therapeutic intervention. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Finn, S. E. (2005). How psychological assessment taught me compassion and firmness. Journal of Personality Assessment, 84, 27–30.Google Scholar
- Finn, S. E. (2007). In our clients’ shoes: Theory and techniques of Therapeutic Assessment. Mawah: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Finn, S. E. (2016). Using Therapeutic Assessment in psychological assessments required for sex reassignment surgery. In V. Brabender & J. L. Mihura (Eds.), Handbook of gender and sexuality in psychological assessment (pp. 511–533). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Finn, S. E., & Martin, H. (2013). Therapeutic Assessment: Using psychological testing as brief therapy. In K. F. Geisinger (Editor-in-Chief.), APA handbook of testing and assessment in psychology, vol. 2 (pp. 453–465). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Finn, S. E., Fischer, C. T., & Handler, L. (Eds.). (2012). Collaborative/Therapeutic Assessment: A casebook and guide. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Fischer, C. T., & Finn, S. E. (2014). Developing the life meaning of psychological test data: Collaborative and therapeutic approaches. In R. P. Archer & S. R. Smith (Eds.), Personality assessment (2nd ed., pp. 401–431). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Kamphuis, J. H., & Finn, S. E. (2018). Therapeutic Assessment in personality disorders: Toward the restoration of epistemic trust. Journal of Personality Assessment. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2018.1476360.