Definition or Key Information
Urban shamanism is a recent spiritual practice in Latin America. There are two different, although complementary and many times overlapping, groups of practitioners: (1) indigenous shamans performing traditional ceremonies for nonnative participants and (2) nonindigenous spiritual leaders or groups performing native-inspired ceremonies.
A growing number of indigenous shamans belonging to many different ethnic groups are traveling from their communities to perform traditional ceremonies for very heterogenic assemblies. Those ceremonies, however, are focused on healing and nonnative topics like “self-knowledge.” Thus, themes like “warfare” and “hunting,” so dear to traditional shamanism, had been removed from those rituals. This phenomenon has been enhanced in the same proportion as indigenous people have been moving to live in urban centers.
According to Langdon and Rose (2012) there is a network of “groups and individuals through the circulation of...
KeywordsNeoshamanism Tradition New Age
- Achterberg J (1985) Imagery in healing. Shamanism and modern medicine. Shambhala Publicatons, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Eliade M (1951) Le chamanisme et les techniques archaiques de l’extase. Payot, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Eliade M (1964) Shamanism: archaic techniques of ecstasy. Routledge and Kegan Paul, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Grunewald R (2009) The contingency of authenticity intercultural experiences in indigenous villages of Eastern and Northeastern Brazil. Vibrant 6(2):52–80Google Scholar
- Harner M (1980) The way of the shaman. Harper & Row, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Labate B (2011) Ayahuasca Mamancuna merci beaucoup: internacionalização e diversificação do vegetalismo ayahuasqueiro peruano. PhD Dissertation, University of Campinas, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Langdon EJ (2007) Shamans and shamanisms: reflections on anthropological dilemmas of modernity. Vibrant 4(2):27–48Google Scholar
- Magnani JG (1999) O xamanismo urbano e a religiosidade contemporânea. Religião e Sociedade 20(2):113–140Google Scholar