União do Vegetal
The Centro Espírita Beneficente União do Vegetal, also called União do Vegetal, or UDV, was created in the Northwestern part of Brazil in 1961. It was founded by José Gabriel da Costa, known as Mestre Gabriel. The religion is marked by its Amerindian, Christian, and Kardecist influences; by the ritual consumption of hoasca or vegetal (ayahuasca); and by a highly hierarchical, centralized, and bureaucratic organization. Currently, the UDV has at least 20,000 members, making it the largest of the Brazilian ayahuasca religions. It has centers all over Brazil, as well as in the United States, Australia, and several European countries.
The Centro Espírita Beneficente União do Vegetal (Union of the Vegetal Beneficent Spiritist Center), also called União do Vegetal, or simply UDV, was created in 1961 in a rubber camp in the Northwest of Brazil near the border with Bolivia. It was founded by José Gabriel da Costa (1922–1971), known as MestreGabriel, a native of the...
KeywordsBrazilian ayahuasca religions Santo Daime Ayahuasca Biomedical research Legal disputes Religious freedom International drug policies
- Brissac S (1999) A estrela do norte iluminando até o sul: uma etnografia da União do Vegetal em um contexto urbano [The North Star shining upon the south: an ethnography of the União do Vegatal in an urban context]. Master thesis, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Dobkin De Rios M, Grob CS (eds) (2005) Ayahuasca use in cross-cultural perspective. J Psychoactive Drugs 37(2):193–201Google Scholar
- Goulart S (2004) Contrastes e continuidades em uma tradição amazônica: as religiões da ayahuasca [Contrasts and continuities in an Amazonian tradition: the ayahuasca religions]. Doctoral dissertation, State University of Campinas (Unicamp), BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Labate BC, Araújo WS (eds) (2004) O uso ritual da ayahuasca [The ritual use of ayahuasca], 2nd edn. Mercado de Letras, CampinasGoogle Scholar
- Labate BC, Rose IS, Santos RG (2009) Ayahuasca religions: a comprehensive bibliography and critical essays. MAPS, Santa CruzGoogle Scholar
- Labate BC, Cavnar C, Gearin AK (eds) (2017) The world ayahuasca diaspora: reinventions and controversies. Routledge, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Melo R (2010) “Beber na fonte”: adesão e transformação na União do Vegetal [“To drink from the source”: adherence and transformation in the União do Vegetal]. Doctoral dissertation, University of Brasília (UnB), BrazilGoogle Scholar