Underwater Enhanced Detail and Dehaze Technique (UEDD) for Underwater Image Enhancement
Underwater image enhancement is a process to improve the underwater image quality for further applications in several ways such as to recover image visibility, preserve details, reduce image noises, and improve contrast and color balance.
Underwater images are often distorted due to two main reasons such as the light absorption and scattering. Water tends to absorb the red light (longest wavelength) compared to blue and green lights. Thus, the underwater images will become bluish or greenish appearance. Underwater images also suffered in limited range visibility, low contrast, and blurring due to the light scattering effects. Therefore, underwater image enhancement is needed to be carried to improve the underwater image quality, enhance image contrast, and restore the image visibility.
The early attempt in recovering underwater image visibility was the polarization analysis...
- Borkar, S., Bonde, S.V.: Underwater image restoration using single color channel prior. In: 2016 International Conference on Signal and Information Processing (IConSIP), pp. 1–4 (2016)Google Scholar
- He, K. Sun, J., Tang, X.: Single image haze removal using dark channel prior. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1956–1963 (2009)Google Scholar
- Hitam, M.S., Yussof, W.N.J.H.W., Awalludin, E.A., Bachok, Z.: Mixture contrast limited adaptive histogram equalization for underwater image enhancement. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Applications Technology, pp. 1–5 (2013)Google Scholar
- Iqbal, K., Odetayo, M., James, A., Salam R.A., Talib, A.Z.H.: Enhancing the low quality images using unsupervised colour correction method. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems Man and Cybernetics, 2010, pp. 1703–1709 (2010)Google Scholar
- Li, C., Guo, J., Pang, Y., Chen, S., Wang, J.: Single underwater image restoration by blue-green channels dehazing and red channel correction. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 1731–1735 (2016)Google Scholar
- Lu, H., Li, Y., Serikawa, S.: Underwater image enhancement using guided trigonometric bilateral filter and fast automatic color correction. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 3412–3416 (2013)Google Scholar
- Sahtya, R., Bharathi, M., Dhivyasri, G.: Underwater image enhancement by dark channel prior. In: IEEE Second International Conference on Electronics and Communication System (ICES 2015), pp. 1119–1123 (2015)Google Scholar
- Wen, H., Tian, Y., Huang, T., Gao, W.: Single underwater image enhancement with a new optical model. In: 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 753–756 (2013)Google Scholar
- Wong, S.L., Yu, Y.P., Ho, A.J., Paramesran, R.: Comparative analysis of underwater image enhancement methods in different color spaces. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, pp. 034–038 (2014)Google Scholar
- Yang, H.Y., Chen, P.Y., Shiau, Y.H.: Low complexity underwater image enhancement based on dark channel prior. In: 2011 Second Conference on Innovations in Bio-inspired Computing and Applications (IBICA), pp. 17–20 (2011)Google Scholar
- Yao, B., Xiang, J.: Underwater image dehazing using modified dark channel prior. In: 2018 Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), pp. 5792–5797 (2018)Google Scholar
- Zheng, L., Shi, H., Sun, S.: Underwater image enhancement algorithm based on CLAHE and USM. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation Ningbo, China, August 2016, pp. 585–590 (2016)Google Scholar