Standard Maintenance Protocols Posttransplant: Follow-Up Visits, Immunizations, Sick Child Calls, etc.
Long-term survival for pediatric recipients of solid organ transplants has improved greatly over the years. Provision of quality care is needed to help ensure patient and graft survival. Because of the complexities of transplantation, it is crucial for primary care providers to work closely with transplant teams. As length of time from transplant increases, more of the general care of pediatric recipients will be coordinated through the primary care providers. The following chapter reviews some of the nuances necessary to consider when caring for this population.
KeywordsGrowth and development Neurocognitive Psychosocial Infection Cytomegalovirus Epstein-Barr virus BK polyomavirus Immunizations Immunosuppression Adolescent health Transitioning
- Alexander BD, Fishman JA (2017) Prophylaxis of infections in solid organ transplantation. In UpToDate. Available via UpToDate. www.uptodate.com. Accessed 9 Feb 2017
- Kasiske BL, Zeier MG, Chapman JR, Craig JC, Ekberg H, Garvey CA, Green MD, Jhs V, Josepson MA, Kiberd BA, Kreis HA, McDonald RA, Newmann JM, Obrador GT, Voncenti FG, Cheun M, Earley A, Raman G, Abargia S, Wagner M, Balk EM (2010) KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the care of kidney transplant recipients: a summary. Kidney Int 77:299–311CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kelly DA, Bucuvalas JC, Alonso EM, Karpen SJ, Allen U, Green M, Farmer D, Shemesh E, McDonald R (2013) Long-term medical management of the pediatric patient after liver transplantation: 2013 practice guidelines by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society of Transplantation. Liver Transpl 19:798–825CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim JJ, Marks SD (2014) Long-term outcomes of children after solid organ transplantation. Clinics. https://doi.org/10.6061/clinics/2014(sup01)06
- McDonald RA (2016) Outcomes of renal transplantation in children. In UpToDate. Available via UpToDate. www.uptodate.com. Accessed 7 Sept 2016
- McGuire BM, Rosenthal P, Brown CC, Busch AM, Calcatera SM, Claria RS, Hunt NK, Korenblat KM, Mazariegos GV, Moonka D, Orloff SL, Perry DK, Rosen CB, Scott DL, Sudan DL (2009) Long-term management of the liver transplant patient: recommendations for the primary care doctor. Am J Transplant 9:1988–2003CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar