Pastoral Training and Ministry: A Continuous Pastoral Formation
The field of pastoral ministry is very broad and involves (Duffy 1992, pp. 597–606) (i) human formation, the natural formation of the material nature of humans; (ii) academic/intellectual formation, the formation of the intellectual capacity of the human person to appreciate and emphasize truth and justice; (iii) moral and spiritual formation, the formation of moral and spiritual tenacity of the human person to embrace and pursue the good of all and behave accordingly toward all; and (iv) pastoral formation, to be formed in the grace and mercy of God to live together cordially and tolerate others and their views and to appreciatively promote pastoral duties in every situation. It is mainly a psychological issue to form an individual for ministry with the five elements of pastoral ministry. In this context, I use psychology from a behaviorist approach to refer to cognitive processes, experiences, and emotions that influence human formation and behavior (Loewenthal 2017),...
- Aryeh, D. N. A. (2018). Academic versus spiritual: Theological education and the anointing of the holy spirit in contemporary prophetic ministry in Ghana. Journal of Contemporary Ministry, (4), 61–77.Google Scholar
- Davis, J. (2018). Active imagination in psychotherapy. In D. A. Leeming (Ed.), Encyclopedia of psychology and religion. Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-27771-9_200208-1. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Dentice, D. (2018) Prejudice in Psychology and Religion. In: Leeming D. (eds) Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Draper, T. (1990). Meeting of seminary rectors. The Furrow, 41(7/8), 448–452.Google Scholar
- Duffy, E. (1992). I will give you Shepherds: The formation of priests. The Furrow, 43(11), 597–606.Google Scholar
- Hurley, D. E. (1962). Pastoral emphasis in seminary studies. The Furrow, 13(1), 16–30.Google Scholar
- Loewenthal, K. M. (2017). Psychology. In D. A. Leeming (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion. Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-27771-9_540-7. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Mayhue, M. L. (1995). Discovering pastoral ministry. In J. MacArthur Jr., M. L. Mayhue, & R. L. Thomas (Eds.), Rediscovering pastoral ministry: Shaping contemporary ministry with biblical mandates (pp. 3–18). London: Word Publishing Inc.Google Scholar
- McHugh, P. (2008). Pastoral Supervision: A Support in Ministry. The Furrow, 59(1), 34–39.Google Scholar
- O’Connell, S. (1999). The hammer and the rock: Scripture in pastoral ministry. The Furrow, 50(7/8), 395–403.Google Scholar