Sustainability policies can be characterized as dynamic, complex, and interactive systems through which environmental problems are identified and countered by creating new policies or by reforming existing policies with the objective to improve environmental performance and to collaborate with sustainable development processes. They encompass human and ecological health, social justice, secure livelihoods, and a better world for all generations and can be created both by public and private sectors. In this context, it should be emphasized that higher education institutions play a fundamental role in the formulation, implementation, and discussion of policies aimed at sustainability.
The challenge associated with the promotion and implementation of sustainable development (SD) is a global concern. At this scale, the efforts of governments and society are aimed at curbing environmental degradation and its direct and indirect consequences, through public policies...
- Cortese AD (2003) The critical role of higher education in creating a sustainable future. Plan High Educ 31(3):15–22Google Scholar
- Gough S, Scott W (2007) Higher education and sustainable development: paradox and possibility. Routledge, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Salvioni DM, Franzoni S, Cassano R (2017) Sustainability in the higher education system: an opportunity to improve quality and image. Sustainability 9(914):1–27Google Scholar
- Santos MCEM, Vivas MI, Silva IA (2011) Educação superior, políticas públicas e contemporaneidade: o desafio da inclusão social. In: Anais do XI Colóquio internacional sobre gestão universitária, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, 7–9 December 2011Google Scholar
- Sauvé L (2002) Environmental education: possibilities and constraints. Connect 27(1/2):1–4Google Scholar
- Tavares EMF (2005) Avaliação de políticas públicas de desenvolvimento Sustentável: dilemas teóricos e pragmáticos. Holos 21:120–129Google Scholar
- United Nations (2015) The 2030 agenda for sustainable development. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/21252030%20Agenda%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20web.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2017