Global Change and Sustainable Development
Sustainability is a key concept discussed by the majority of profit and non-profit organizations worldwide. Millar and Park (2013, 81) defined sustainability as “the long-term and comprehensive view of a business enterprise’s awareness of and actions toward its financial, social, and environmental impacts.” In the tourism and hospitality sector, sustainability refers to a range of balancing acts being implemented that ultimately affects global sustainable development.
To enhance global sustainability, pertinent activities should alleviate poverty in developing economies, generate employment, promote sustainable consumption and production, and advocate the sustainable use of oceans, seas, and marine resources (UN 2017). Furthermore, such a global change should embrace local cultures while improving the quality of life and rural development by fostering economic progress in developing countries (UN 2017; United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) 2018).
When it comes to...
KeywordsSustainability Tourism and hospitality Curriculum Higher education
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) (2017) Top 10 higher education state policy issues for 2017. A higher education policy brief 1–8Google Scholar
- Brookfield SD, Holst JD (2010) Radicalizing learning: adult education for a just world. Jossey-Bass, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Kokkarinen N, Cotgrave AJ (2018) Are university lecturers literate in sustainability? In: Sustainable development: concepts, methodologies, tools, and applications, pp 1278–1291Google Scholar
- Paris MC (2016) Sustainability: a threshold concept for tourism education. Tourism 64(3):329–337Google Scholar
- UN (2017) Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 21 December 2016: promotion of sustainable tourism, including ecotourism, for poverty eradication and environment protectionGoogle Scholar
- UNWTO (2018) Tourism and the sustainable development goal – journey to 2030, highlight. Retrieved from https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/pdf/10.18111/9789284419340
- World Environment Center (2011) Business skills for a changing world: an assessment of what global companies need from business schools, World Environment Center and Net Impact, available at: http://www.wec.org/events/net-impact-wec-business-changing-world. Accessed 27 May 2018