Sustainability Weeks and Sustainable Development
A type of event (usually annual) organized by higher education institutions with the goal of raising environmental awareness while engaging university members with local communities. Along these meetings, a great variety of activities directly related to environmental issues are carried out in order to disseminate institutional actions associated with research, teaching, extension, and management in sustainability on its multiple dimensions (social, environmental, economic).
Higher education institutions (HEIs) have intensified their environmental sustainability by developing many activities in this direction and at the same time making the educational processes and facilities more sustainable.
From the institutional environmental management’s perspective, the engagement of the university community (students, teachers, and employees) is essential in order to reach success, either as a direct action for the operators within their professional activities or for...
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (2017a) STARS technical manual v 2.1.3, updated July 2017. 321 p. http://www.aashe.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/STARS-2.1-Technical-Manual-Administrative-Update-Three.pdf. Accessed 20 Sept 2017
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (2017b) Sustainable campus index 2017. 81 p. http://www.aashe.org/sustainable-campus-index/. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- Benayas JA (2014) Proyecto RISU. Definición de indicadores para la evaluación de las politicas de sustentabilidad en Universidades Latinoamericanas. Resumen Ejecutivo. Universidad Autónoma de Madri, MadriGoogle Scholar
- Guidelines. UI GreenMetric World University Rankings (2017) Global partnerships for a sustainable future. Integrated Laboratory and Research Center (ILRC). University of Indonesia Kampus Baru. Indonesia. 30 p. http://greenmetric.ui.ac.id/guidelines/ Accessed 18 Jan 2018. http://ariusa.net/es/informe-sobre-resultados-del-proyecto-risu. Accessed 12 Jan 2015
- Morin E (2002) A cabeça bem-feita: repensar a reforma, reformar o pensamento [The well-done head: rethink the reform. Rethink the thought]. Bertrand Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, 128 pGoogle Scholar
- Partridge K, Jackson C, Wheeler DZA (2005) The stakeholder engagement manual volume 1: the guide to practitioners’ perspectives on stakeholder engagement. Stakeholder Research Associates Canada Inc., United Nations Environment Programme, Account Ability, CobourgGoogle Scholar
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (1975) The Belgrade charter. A framework for environmental education. The international workshop on environmental education: Belgrade, Yugoslavia 13–22 October 1975: the international environmental education programme – Unesco – UNEP: final report/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. 4 p. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0001/000177/017772eb.pdf. Accessed 2 June 2016
- United Nations Environment Programme (2013) Greening universities toolkit. Transforming universities into green and sustainable campuses: a toolkit for implementers. UNEP, Account Ability and Stakeholder Research Associates. 93 p. http://wedocs.unep.org/handle/20.500.11822/11273. Accessed 19 Nov 2014
- United Nations Environment Programme (2014) Greening universities toolkit v 2.0. Transforming universities into green and sustainable Campuses: a toolkit for implementers. Advance copy. UNEP- Environmental Education and Training. Cooperative Research Centre for Low Carbon Living (Australia). 164 p. http://web.unep.org/training/content/greening-universities-toolkit-v20-transforming-universities-green-and-sustainable-campuses-0. Accessed 8 Jan 2018
- United Nations Global Compact Office (2012) A practical guide to the United Nations global compact for higher education institutions: implementing the global compact principles and communicating on progress. UNGC. 24 p. http://www.unprme.org/resource-docs/APracticalGuidetotheUnitedNationsGlobalCompactforHigherEducationInstitutions.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2018