Social Welfare and Sustainability
Social welfare refers to physical and mental well-being, while sustainability references the balance that exists between the economic, environmental, and social aspects of a social and economic system. Together these attributes define a society that promotes sustainable outcomes in consideration and inclusive of individual and communal satisfaction.
Conversations about energy conservation, green building, environmental concerns, waste management, and water consumption, among others are very common in any sustainability discussion. Generally speaking, the social dimension of sustainability does not appear at first glance, even though social welfare and sustainability are closely related.
Society is developing very rapidly; this development has generated significant concerns due to the depredation of the natural environment as well as the increment of social problems due to the extraction of value...
- AASHE (2017) STARS technical manual 2.1 the association for the advancement of sustainability in higher education. http://www.aashe.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/STARS-Technical-Manual-v2.1.2.pdf
- Atkisson A (2011) The sustainability transformation. How to accelerate positive change in challenging times. Earthscan, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Baye A, Demeuse M, Straeten M-H, Matoul A, Nicaise J (2005) Equity in education: A typology of European Educational Systems. AERA, Montreal, April 11–15, pp 1–23Google Scholar
- Bilbao MAR (2008) Creencias Sociales y Bienestar: Valores, creencias básicas, impacto de los hechos vitales y crecimiento psicológico. Universidad del país Vasco- Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea. ChileGoogle Scholar
- Clugston RM, Calder W (1999) Critical dimension of sustainability in higher education. In Leal Filho W. (Ed.), Sustainability and university life pp 31–46. Frankfurt, Germany: Peter LangGoogle Scholar
- Hawken P, Lovins AB, Lovins LH (1999) Natural capitalism. Earthscan, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Hediger W (1999) Sustainable development and social welfare. Ecol Econ 32:481–492. http://ulsf.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Critical_dimensions_SHE1.pdfCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Novo M (2009) Environmental education, a genuine education for sustainable development. Rev Educ (EX): 195–217. http://www.revistaeducacion.mec.es/re2009/re2009_09.pdf
- Ruiz Gutiérrez L, Cespedes Garcia D, Lima Cazorla L (2014) Consideraciones sobre indicadores de desarrollo sostenible en las universidades. Deserción, calidad y reforma universitaria. Apuntes para el debate. Contrato Social por la Educación. EcuadorGoogle Scholar
- Ryff C (1989) Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being. J Pers Soc Psychol 57(6):1069–1081Google Scholar
- Ryff C, Keyes C (1995) The structure of psychological wellbeing revisited. J Pers Soc Psychol 69:719–727Google Scholar
- Sonetti G, Lombardi P, Mendoza Y (2016) Sustainability management in university campuses: the road from scattered food practices to systemic transformations. newDIST. pp 102–111Google Scholar
- ULSF (1990) Talloires declaration. University Leaders for a Sustainable Future. http://ulsf.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/TD.pdf. 21 Nov 2017
- UNESCO (1976) The Belgrade Charter: a global framework for environmental education. UNESCOGoogle Scholar
- WCED (1987) Our common future. World Commission on Environment and development. http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf. 24 Nov 2017
- Wright T (2010) University presidents’ conceptualizations of sustainability in higher education. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education 11(1):61–73. https://doi.org/10.1108/14676371011010057
- Zapata M, Ramírez R (2015) Policies for Social Inclusion and Equity in Higher Education in Europe, in Robert T. Teranishi, Loni Bordoloi Pazich, Marcelo Knobel, Walter R. Allen (ed.) Mitigating Inequality: Higher Education Research, Policy, and Practice in an Era of Massification and Stratification (Advances in Education in Diverse Communities: Research, Policy and Praxis, Volume 11) Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp 311–336Google Scholar
- Zubieta EM, Delfino GI (2010) Satisfaction with life, psychological and social well being in college students. Anuario de Investigación. Psicol Soc Política Comunitaria 17:277–283. http://www.scielo.org.ar/pdf/anuinv/v17/v17a27.pdfGoogle Scholar
- Zubieta E, Fernandez O, Sosa F (2012) Bienestar, Valores y Varibles Asociadas. Bol Psicol 106:7–27. https://www.uv.es/seoane/boletin/previos/N106-1.pdfGoogle Scholar