Carbon Neutrality and Sustainable Development
Carbon neutral means, that processes or products do not cause any carbon dioxide emissions to the atmosphere or carbon dioxide emissions are compensated. Carbon neutral economy is understood as such where the net greenhouse gas emissions into the biosphere associated with economic activities are zero. The definition of low-carbon economy is similar, but with wider limits as it is defined as economy grounded on low-carbon power sources that have minimal output of greenhouse gas, giving the accent to carbon dioxide emissions.
Global warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions is changing our planet and posing devastating consequences for the Earth. Global warming changes the climate and has far-reaching, long-lasting consequences. Already now we are facing changes: glaciers are melting and sea levels are rising, extreme weather events become more frequent, lakes turn to be warmer, plants change vegetation zones, animals’ migration patterns, etc. Warming is caused...
- Goodier C (2010) Carbon footprint. In: Cohen N, Robbins P (eds) Green cities: an A-to-Z guide. Sage Publications, London, pp 49–53Google Scholar
- Goodward J, Kelly A (2010) Bottom Line on Offsets. World Resources Institute. http://www.wri.org/publication/bottom-line-offsets
- International Energy Agency (2017) CO2 emissions from fuel combustion. https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/CO2EmissionsfromFuelCombustionHighlights2017.pdf
- PAS 2060 White Paper http://co2balance.com/media/technical-documents/PAS_2060_Technical_Review.pdf
- Peters GP et al (2017) Towards real time verification of CO2 emissions. Nat Clim Chang. https://jacksonlab.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/peters_et_al_verification_nature_cc_2017.pdf
- Schmidt CW (2009) Carbon offsets: growing pains in a growing market. Environ Health Perspect 117:A62–A68Google Scholar
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (1992) New York, United Nations General AssemblyGoogle Scholar
- Woodford C (2017) Carbon offsets. https://www.explainthatstuff.com/carbon-offsets.html
- World Coal Association (2017) https://www.worldcoal.org/coal
- 10 options for negative emission technologies (2016) CarbonBrief. https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-10-ways-negative-emissions-could-slow-climate-change