Community Outreach on Sustainability
Community outreach on sustainability can be defined as the HEI’s initiatives to engage with the communities in its surroundings in a mutually beneficial process of sustainable development. Therefore, community outreach on sustainability promotes an inclusive process of planning and development, also assisting members of the community to achieve their personal goals. These initiatives contribute to increase the legitimacy of the HEI in the community while improving quality of life.
Higher education institutions (HEIs) play a vital role in helping societies to achieve sustainable development through education and innovation (Ramos et al. 2015; Hoover and Harder 2015; Anand et al. 2015). HEIs should aim to promote sustainable development and embrace sustainability concepts in their practices. HEIs are frequently large, employ many people, and educate many more. Campuses often have many buildings and can resemble a small city, using...
- Bedawy RE (2014) Embedding sustainable development into higher education: a case study from Egypt. Int Rev Manag Bus Res 3(1):465–484Google Scholar
- Berchin II, Grando VS, Marcon GA, Corseuil L, Guerra JBSOA (2017) Strategies to promote sustainability in higher education institutions: a case study of a federal institute of higher education in Brazil. Int J Sustain High Educ 18(7):1018–1038. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-06-2016-0102CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Berchin II, Sima M, de Lima MA, Biesel S, dos Santos LP, Ferreira RV, Guerra JBSOA, Ceci F (2018) The importance of international conferences on sustainable development as higher education institutions' strategies to promote sustainability: a case study in Brazil. J Clean Prod 171:756–772. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.042CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boyer EL (1996) The scholarship of engagement. J Publ Serv Outreach 1:11–20Google Scholar
- Guerra JBSOA, Garcia J, Lima MA, Barbosa SB, Heerdt ML, Berchin II (2016, In Press). A proposal of a balanced scorecard for an environmental education program at universities. J Clean Prod 1–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.179
- Ramos TB, Caeiro S, Hoof B, Lozano R, Huisingh D, Ceulemans K (2015) Experiences from the implementation of sustainable development in higher education institutions: Environmental Management for Sustainable Universities. J Clean Prod 106:3–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.05.110CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ULSF (1990) The Talloires declaration. Available at http://ulsf.org/talloires-declaration/. Accessed on 19 Dec 2017
- United Nations (2016) Higher education sustainability initiative. Available at https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdinaction/hesi. Accessed on 19 Dec 2017