Sustainable Transportation Methods
Sustainable transportation methods may be defined as the means by which transportation takes place in line with the principles of sustainability, which, for instance, entails as little CO2 emission as possible in urban mobility and process management in organizations.
Nowadays, the use of the concept of sustainability is discussed in much research around the world, a fact that has resulted in the dissemination of divergent conceptual interpretations according to the objective of each piece of research, resulting in a considerable increase in its importance. In this chapter, we look at how concepts of sustainability serve current demands without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own necessities, providing an improvement in the quality of life for society.
To ensure a sustainable way of life, it is necessary to integrate three specific areas, known as the triple bottom line, being economic equity, the environment, and social development....
- Bachok S, Ponrahono Z, Osman MM, Jaafar S, Ibrahim M, Mohamed MZ (2015) A preliminary study of sustainable transport indicators in Malaysia: the case study of Klang valley public transportation. In: The 5th sustainable future for human security. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2015.07.056
- Buwana E, Hasibuan HS, Abdini C (2016) Alternatives selection for sustainable transportation system in Kasongan City. In: International conference, intelligent planning towards smart cities, Surabaya. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.06.037
- Galanis A, Botzoris G, Siapos A, Eliou N, Profillidis V (2017) Economic crisis and promotion of sustainable transportation: a case survey in the city of Volos, Greece. In: Conference on sustainable urban mobility, Volos. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2017.05.114
- GuimarãesVA, Junior ICL (2016) Performance assessment and evaluation method for passenger transportation: a step toward sustainability. J Clean Prod. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.05.071
- Hsu C-I, Wang H-M (2015) Strategies for green transportation while preserving mobility and accessibility: a case study of Taipei City. J Urban Plann Dev 142:04015008. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)UP.1943-5444.0000286CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jha MK, Ogallob HG, Owolabia O (2013) A quantitative analysis of sustainability and green transportation initiatives in highway design and maintenance. In: Meeting of the EURO working group on transportation. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.153
- Lin C, Choy KL, Ho GTS, Ng TW (2013) A Genetic Algorithm-based optimization model for supporting green transportation operations. Expert Syst Appl. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2013.11.032
- Patlins A (2017) Improvement of sustainability definition facilitating sustainable development of public transport system. In: International scientific conference on sustainable, modern and safe transport. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.06.114