Public Servants and Corporate Governance Failures: Developing for the Future by Learning from the Past
- 10 Downloads
This chapter considers the challenges facing public servants when dealing with the complexities of corporate governance, particularly in relation to corporate failure. The chapter argues that the public servant of the future needs to be equipped with skills appropriate for meeting the challenge of navigating and managing the complexities of corporate failure, in a context where these place severe stresses upon relationships between public bureaucracies, private and third sector bodies, functioning across and within macro, meso and micro levels of governance. The chapter addresses the key questions about the ways in which corporate failures challenge the role of modern public servants in corporate governance, and the lessons that can be drawn from cases from the recent past. A range of illustrative examples from different levels within governance systems are deployed in order to examine this issue. These are: the Greek economic crisis, the FIFA fiasco, the collapse of the KidsCo charity, Oxfam and Save the Children scandals, and the Grenfell Tower fire. The role of the public servant in such circumstances is not just about partnering with stakeholders to minimize failure (through standard-setting, for example) but also to demonstrate leadership by bringing threats under control in a “crisis management” sense, co-producing lesson learning processes from failures, and strengthening lines of accountability.
KeywordsCorporate governance Learning Failure Governance
- BBC News. 2017. London fire: What happened at Grenfell Tower? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40272168. 19 July.
- ———. 2018. Oxfam Haiti allegations: How the scandal unfolded. www.bbc.co.uk-43112200. 21 Feb.
- Blustein, Paul. 2016. Laid low. Inside the crisis that overwhelmed Europe and the IMF. Waterloo, Ontario: Centre for International Governance Innovation.Google Scholar
- Charity Commission. 2018. Charity commission statement on Oxfam. www.gov.uk/government/news/charity-commission-statement-on-oxfam
- Committee on Standards in Public Life. 1995. The 7 principles of public life. London: CSPL.Google Scholar
- Connolly, John. 2016. The Politics and Crisis Management of Animal Health Security. Surrey: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Crack, Angela. 2018. The Oxfam scandal has taught us there is no reward for honest charities. The Guardian, March 16.Google Scholar
- Dudin, Mihail Nikolaevich, Vladimir Ivanovich Gayduk, Vladimir Dmitrievich Sekerin, Sergei Valeryevich Bank, and Anna Evgenevna Gorohova. 2016. Financial crisis in Greece: Challenges and threats for the global economy. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues 6 (S5): 1–6.Google Scholar
- Gapper, John. 2017. Grenfell: An anatomy of a housing disaster. Financial Times, June 29.Google Scholar
- Godden, Maryse. 2017. KCTMO loses contract after Grenfell fire. The Times, September 28.Google Scholar
- Grenfell Action Group. 2017. Grenfell Tower fire https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/Grenfell-tower-fire. 14 June.
- Haque, M. Shamsul. 2011. Non-governmental organisations. The Sage Handbook of Governance, ed. Mark Bevir. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Helleiner, Eric. 2014. The status quo crisis: Global financial governance after the 2008 meltdown. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- International Development Committee. 2018. Sexual exploitation in the aid sector. Oral Evidence 22 February 2018, HC840 2017–18.Google Scholar
- Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation. 2006. Articles of Association of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation Ltd. London: KCTMO.Google Scholar
- Massey, Andrew, and Robert Pyper. 2005. Public management and modernisation in Britain. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Matsaganis, M. 2013. The Greek crisis: Social impact and policy responses. Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Library. www.library.fes.de/pdf-files/id10314.pdf
- O’Neill, Sean. 2018. Top Oxfam staff paid Haiti survivors for sex. The Times, February 9.Google Scholar
- Public Accounts Committee. 2015. The government’s funding of Kids Company. Eighth Report 2015-16, HC504.Google Scholar
- Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee. 2016. The collapse of Kids Company: Lessons for charity trustees, professional firms, the Charity Commission, and Whitehall, Fourth Report 2015–16, HC433.Google Scholar
- Rankin, Jennifer, and Helena Smith. 2017. Greece standoff over 86bn euro bailout eases after Brussels deal. The Guardian, February 20.Google Scholar
- Royal Institute of British Architects. 2017. Submission from the Royal Institute of British Architects to the call for evidence by the independent review of building regulations and fire safety. London: RIBA.Google Scholar
- Sawlani, Kundan. 2017. The social inequality behind the tragic Grenfell Tower fire. https://incitejournal.com/opinion/the-grenfell-tower-fire-and-social-inequality/
- Stark, Alastair 2019. Public inquiries, policy learning, and the threat of future crises. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Turner, Camilla. 2017. We are just as important as everyone else say tower homeowners. Sunday Telegraph, July 9.Google Scholar
- Varoufakis, Yanis. 2017. Adults in the room. My battle with Europe’s deep establishment. London: The Bodley Head.Google Scholar