- 133 Downloads
Venture philanthropy (VP) comes as an indirect way of dealing with corporate social responsibility issues, since it calls for providing financial and nonfinancial support to organizations with societal purpose (SPOs), in order to increase their societal impact. VP applies venture capital principles (such as long-term investment and hands-on support) to charitable giving (Grossman et al. 2013; John 2006), and it recommends high engagement, organizational capacity-building, tailored financing, nonfinancial support, involvement of networks, multiyear support, and performance measurement (EVPA 2013, 2016, 2018; John 2006; OECD 2014).
Rise of VP as an Unprecedented Grant-Making Model
Grant-making model known as “venture philanthropy” (VP) is one of the most prominent and most controversial innovations breaking away from the old-fashioned ways of giving (Defourny et al. 2007;...
- Council on Foundations. (2001). Venture philanthropy: A model of innovation vs a model of intrusion. Board Briefing, February, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Defourny, J., & Nyssens, M. (2013). Social innovation, social economy and social enterprise: What can the European debate tell us? In F. Moulaert, D. MacCallum, A. Mehmood, & A. Hamdouch (Eds.), The international handbook on social innovation, Collective Action, Social Learning and Transdisciplinary Research (pp. 40–53). https://doi.org/10.4337/9781849809993.00013
- Defourny, J., Nyssens, M., Thys, S., & Xhauflair, V. (2007). Beyond philanthropy: When philanthropy becomes social entrepreneurship. Paper presented at the 6th conference of the European Research Network on Philanthropy, pp. 1–33, Riga, Latvia. http://labos.ulg.ac.be/philanthropie/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/04/Beyond-Philanthropy-JD.MN_.ST_.VX_.pdf. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- EVPA (European Venture Philanthropy Association). (2013). European Venture Philanthropy and Social Investment 2012/2013. The EVPA Survey. https://evpa.eu.com/knowledge-centre/publications/evpa-yearly-survey-2012-2013-european-venture-philanthropy-and-social-investment. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- EVPA (European Venture Philanthropy Association). (2016). A practical guide to venture philanthropy and social impact investment. https://evpa.eu.com/news/2016/new-evpa-report-a-practical-guide-to-venture-philanthropy-and-social-impact-investment. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- EVPA (European Venture Philanthropy Association). (2018). Investing for Impact. The EVPA Survey 2017/2018. https://evpa.eu.com/knowledge-centre/publications/investing-for-impact-the-evpa-survey-2017-2018. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- Gianoncelli, A., & Boiardi, P. (2017). “Funding hybrid organisations” The next step of venture philanthropy. http://ernop.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Gianoncelli_Boiardi-Funding-Hybrid-Organisations-7.pdf. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- Grenier, P. (2006). Venture philanthropy in Europe: Obstacles and opportunities. Brussels: European Venture Philanthropy Association.Google Scholar
- Grossman, A., Appleby, S., & Reimers, C. (2013). Venture philanthropy: Its evolution and its future. Harvard Business School, 9, 1–25.Google Scholar
- https://evpa.eu.com/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- http://www.oecd.org/development/development-philanthropy/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- John, R. (2006). Venture philanthropy: The evolution of high engagement philanthropy in Europe. http://eureka.sbs.ox.ac.uk/745/1/VenturePhilanthropyinEuropeRobJohnspaper.pdf. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- Koh, H. (2010). Building powerful agents of change: A perspective from venture philanthropy. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/78910/Harvey-Koh_2.pdf. Accessed 15 February 2019.
- Letts, C. W., Ryan, W., & Grossman, A. (1997). Virtuous capital: What foundations can learn from venture capitalists. Harvard Business Review, 75, 36–50.Google Scholar
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development). (2014). Venture philanthropy in development dynamics, challenges and lessons in the search for greater impact. https://www.oecd.org/dev/Venture%20Philanthropy%20in%20Development-BAT-24022014-indd5%2011%20mars.pdf. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- Reddy, C. D. (2015). Social entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy: A conceptual framework. In S. Goodman, G. Human, C. Mulenga, D. Priilaid, & J. Robertson (Eds.), Management in Southern Africa: Change, challenge and opportunity. Proceedings the 27th SAIMS annual conference, 30 August–1 September, 2015 (pp. 288–299). Cape Town: The Southern Africa Institute for Management Scientists.Google Scholar