WTE: Boiler and Power Generation
Combined heat and power: production of electricity combined with delivery of heat, e.g., for district heating.
Energy from waste, synonym of WTE.
Municipal solid waste: residential, commercial, and other urban waste. It is the residual part, which is the non-source separated stream.
EU legislative distinction between reuse and disposal of waste.
Refuse-derived fuel: pretreated waste, mainly by shredding and recovery of some recyclable materials and removal of inert and wet fractions. It consists mainly of packaging paper and plastics.
Waste to energy: thermal treatment of wastes with energy recovery.
Definition of the Subject
This entry describes the history of WTE and technological developments with regard to increasing the energy efficiency of this process and ways to assess energy efficiency.
In the history, four distinct stages are described involving improvements on the combustion system, flue...
- 1.Berlo MAJ, van en Jörn W (2003) High efficiency waste-to-energy concept [Sectie van boek]//Municipal solid waste management, strategies and technologies for sustainable solutions/boekaut. Christian Ludwich, Hellweg Stefanie en Stucki Samuel. Springer, Berlin/Heidelberg. isbn:3-540-44100-XGoogle Scholar
- 2.Erbrink H et al (2001) Analysis of energy efficiency definitions for policy making (in Dutch) [Boek]. NOVEM/KEMA, Utrecht. firstname.lastname@example.org. – Reportnr: 2EWAB01.03Google Scholar
- 3.Tebert C (2006) The energy efficiency formula of annex ii of the waste framework directive: a critical review. [Rapport] = R1/D10 formula review/Ökopol gmbh, Institute for environmental strategies – [sl]: Ökopol. http://www.eeb.org/activities/waste/20060630-Okopol-Brief-on-MSWI-efficiency-formula-v5-final.pdf
- 4.Murer MJ et al (2009) Comparison of energy efficiency indicators for energy-from-waste plants [Conferentie]/International waste management and landfill symposium, vol 12. Sardinia: [sn]Google Scholar
- 5.Murer MJ et al (2010) Exergetic analysis of heat transfer and efficiency in Efw plants [Conferentie]/Third international symposium on energy from biomass and waste. CISA, Environmental Sanitary Engineering Centre, vol 2010. VeniceGoogle Scholar
- 6.Berlo MAJ, van en Waart Harry de (2008) Unleashing the power in waste, comparison of greenhouse gas and other performance indicators for waste-to-energy concepts and landfilling [Conferentie] = unleashing the power in waste//North American waste-to-energy conference, vol 16. Philadelphia/Pennsylvania: NAWTEC, p 16, NAWTEC16-1937Google Scholar
- 7.EU – JRC (2007) Environmental assessment of municipal waste management scenarios: Part II – Detailed life cycle assessments [Rapport] = JRC 41241/EUR 23021 EN/2/Institute for environment and sustainability. European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Ispra, p 182. http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu. isbn:978-92-79-07450-9