- Breeding ratio
Ratio of fission atom production to fissile atom destruction during a certain time interval in a nuclear system.
- Closed fuel cycle (full recycle)
One of the nuclear fuel cycle options, in which all actinides in the used nuclear fuel are separated and recycled to reduce the radiotoxicity of a geological repository while enhancing uranium utilization.
- Energy sustainability
Ability to meet the energy needs of the present generation while enhancing the ability of the future generation. In GEN-IV, the sustainability is measured by utilization of uranium resource without creating any weakness in economics and environmental goals.
Gas-cooled Fast Reactor, which features a fast reactor and closed fuel cycle.
Generation IV international forum, which is a cooperative international endeavor organized to carry out the R&D needed to establish the feasibility and performance capabilities of GEN-IV nuclear systems.
Lead-cooled Fast Reactor, which features a fast...
- 1.Generation IV International Forum. http://www.gen-4.org
- 2.US-DOE Nuclear Energy Research Advisory Committee and GIF (2002) A technical roadmap for generation IV nuclear energy systems: ten nations preparing today for tomorrow’s energy needs. Generation IV International Forum. http://www.gen-4.org
- 3.Potter PC (1996) Gas turbine-modular helium reactor (GT-MHR) conceptual design description report. General Atomics GA-910720Google Scholar
- 5.Simon R (2005) The primary circuit of the DRAGON high temperature reactor experiment. In: 18th international conference of structural mechanics in reactor technology (SMiRT 18), BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wachholz W (1988) The present state of the HTR concept based on experience gained from AVR and THTR. In: International working group on gas-cooled reactors International Atomic Energy Agency IWGGCR-19, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 12.IAEA (2007) Status of small reactor designs without on-site refueling. In: International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA-TECDOC-1536, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Cinotti L, Smith CF, Sienicki JJ, Abderrahim HA, Benamati G, Locaelli G, Monti S, Wider H, Stuwe D, Orden A (2007) The potential of LFR and ELSY project. In: 2007 international congress on advances in nuclear power plants, NiceGoogle Scholar
- 16.Boardman CE (2000) A description of the S-PRISM plant. In: 8th international conference on nuclear engineering, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- 21.Zhao H, Zhang H (2007) An innovative hybrid loop-pool design for sodium cooled fast reactor. Idaho National Laboratory INL/CON-07-12657Google Scholar
- 22.Koch L (2000) Experimental breeder reactor-II. Argonne National Laboratory, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lash T (1997) Fast flux test facility (FFTF) briefing book 1: summary. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory PNNL-11778Google Scholar
- 24.Oka Y (2000) Design concept of once-through cycle supercritical pressurized light water reactors. In: The first international symposium on supercritical water-cooled reactors, SCR-2000, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 25.Macdonald P (2000) Feasibility study of supercritical light water cooled fast reactor for actinide burning and electric power production. Idaho National Laboratory INEEL/EXT-02-01330Google Scholar
- 26.Kim TK, Wilson PH, Hu P, Jain R (2004) Feasibility and configuration of a mixed spectrum supercritical water reactor. In: International topical meeting on the physics of fuel cycles and advanced nuclear systems (PHYSOR-2004), ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 27.Kim TK, Taiwo TA, Yang WS, Hill RN, Assessment of deep burnup concept based on graphite moderated gas-cooled thermal reactor. In: International topical meeting on the physics of fuel cycles and advanced nuclear systems (PHYSOR-2006), VancouverGoogle Scholar
- 28.Energy Multiplier Module, http://www.ga.com/energy-multiplier-moduleGoogle Scholar
- 29.Transatomic Power Reactor, http://www.transatomicpower.comGoogle Scholar
Book and Reviews
- Bouchard JB (2008) Generation IV advanced nuclear energy systems. Nucl Plant J 26(5):2–4Google Scholar
- Kim WJ et al (2006) Supercritical carbon dioxide Brayton power conversion cycle design for optimized battery-type integral reactor system. In: International congress on advances in nuclear power plants, RenoGoogle Scholar
- MacDonald PE et al (2003) NGNP preliminary point design – results of initial neutronics and thermal-hydraulic assessment. INEEL/EXT-03-00870 Rev. 1. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, Sept 2003Google Scholar
- Sienicki JJ et al (2006) Status report on small secure transportable autonomous reactor (SSTAR)/lead-cooled fast reactor (LFR) and supporting research and development. Argonne National Laboratory ANL-GenIV-089Google Scholar
- Schultz RR (2008) Next generation nuclear plant methods research and development technical program plan. Idaho National Laboratory INL/EXT-06-11804Google Scholar
- The US Generation IV Implementation Strategy (2003) US Department of Energy office of Nuclear Energy, Science and TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- The US Generation IV Fast Reactor Strategy (2006) US Department of Energy office of Nuclear EnergyGoogle Scholar