Data Acquisition and Dissemination in Sensor Networks
Data acquisition; Data collection; Data gathering
Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) are deployed to monitor and subsequently communicate various aspects of physical environment, e.g., acoustics, visual, motion, vibration, heat, light, moisture, pressure, radio, magnetic, biological, etc. Data acquisition and dissemination protocols for WSNs are aimed at collecting information from sensor nodes and forwarding it to the subscribing entities such that maximum data rate is achieved while maximizing the overall network life time. The information can be simple raw data or processed using basic signal processing techniques such as filtering, aggregation/compression, event detection, etc.
Wireless sensor networks consist of tiny dispensable smart sensor nodes, with limited battery power and processing/communication capabilities. In addition, these networks also employ more powerful “sink” node(s) that collect information from the sensor nodes and...
- 1.Deshpande A, Guestrin C, Madden SR, Hellerstein JM, Hong W. Model-driven data acquisition in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2004. p. 588–99.Google Scholar
- 2.Ganesan D, Greenstein B, Perelyubskiy D, Estrin D, Heidemann J. An evaluation of multi-resolution storage for sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems; 2003. p. 89–102.Google Scholar
- 3.Heinzelman WR, Chandrakasan A, Balakrishnan H. Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii Conference on System Sciences; 2000. p. 8020.Google Scholar
- 5.Madden S, Franklin MJ, Hellerstein JM, Hong W. The design of an acquisitional query processor for sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 2003. p. 491–502.Google Scholar
- 9.Xi Y, Yang W, Yamauchi N, Miyazaki Y, Baba N, Ikeda H. Real-time data acquisition and processing in a miniature wireless monitoring system for strawberry during transportation. In: Proceedings of the International Technical Conference of IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific Region); 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Xu N, Rangwala S, Chintalapudi KK, Ganesan D, Broad A, Govindan R, Estrin D. A wireless sensor network for structural monitoring. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems; 2004. p. 13–24.Google Scholar
- 12.Yao Y, Gehrke J. Query processing in sensor networks; 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.Zhan X, Wang H, Khokhar A. An energy-efficient data collection protocol for mobile sensor networks. Vehicular Technology Conference; 2006. p. 1–15.Google Scholar