Incremental Maintenance of Views with Aggregates
Views are SQL or relational expressions over the given data sources. In a data warehouse, view expression generally involves the aggregate operator. In order to keep materialized (precomputed and stored) views up to date, it is necessary to maintain the views in response to the changes at the sources. Incremental maintenance of a view involves propagating the changes at the source onto the view so that the view reflects the changes. Incrementally maintaining a view can be significantly cheaper than recomputing the view from scratch.
Incrementally maintaining a view can be significantly cheaper than recomputing the view from scratch, especially if the size of the view is large compared to the size of the changes [1, 2, 9]. The problem of incremental maintenance of views has been studied extensively, and several algorithms have been proposed over the years [3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12]. Most works (except for [7, 12]) either handled view expressions...
- 1.Blakeley JA, Martin NL Join index, materialized view, and hybrid hash join: a performance analysis. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Data Engineering; 1990. p. 256–63.Google Scholar
- 2.Colby L, Kawaguchi A, Lieuwen D, Mumick I, Ross K Supporting multiple view maintenance policies. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1997. p. 405–16.Google Scholar
- 3.Griffin T, Libkin L Incremental maintenance of views with duplicates. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1995. p. 316–27.Google Scholar
- 4.Griffin T, Libkin L, Trickey H. A correction to “incremental recomputation of active relational expressions” by Qian and Wiederhold. Technical report, AT&T Bell Laboratories. Murray Hill; 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta A, Jagadish HV, Mumick IS Maintenance and self-maintenance of outerjoin views. In: Proceedings of the Workshops on Next Generational Information Technologies and Systems; 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Gupta A, Mumick I, Subrahmanian V Maintaining views incrementally. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1993. p. 157–66.Google Scholar
- 9.Mumick I, Quass D, Mumick B Maintenance of data cubes and summary tables in a warehouse. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1997. p. 100–11.Google Scholar
- 12.Quass D Materialized views in data warehouses. PhD thesis, Stanford University, Department of Computer Science, 1997. Chapter 4. Preliminary version appears as Maintenance Expressions for Views with Aggregation in the ACM Workshop on Materialized Views. 1996.Google Scholar