Replication with Snapshot Isolation
Replication with Snapshot Isolation; Snapshot Replication
Database replication is concerned with the management of data copies residing on different database nodes (also called sites). The main propose of replication is to achieve scalability and availability of database systems which are both very important design goals in modern cloud deployments. A main challenge of database replication is replica control, which keeps the copies at different sites consistent. Replica control needs to be combined with mechanisms for concurrency control in replicated databases to guarantee a globally correct execution of transactions under replication.
The ideal goal for a replicated database is to provide the same consistency level as in a centralized database system without any replication. Early work has concentrated on providing a consistency level that is called one-copy serializabity; that is, the replicated database should appear just like an unreplicated database with...
- 1.Gray J, Helland P, O’Neil PE, Shasha D. The dangers of replication and a solution. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1996. p. 173–82.Google Scholar
- 2.Wu S, Kemme B. Postgres-R(SI): combining replica control with concurrency control based on snapshot isolation. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Data Engineering; 2005. p. 422–33.Google Scholar
- 3.Elnikety S, Zwaenepoel W, Pedone F. Database replication using generalized snapshot isolation. In: Proceedings of the 24th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems; 2005. p. 73–84.Google Scholar
- 4.Sovran Y, Power R, Aguilera MK, Li J. Transactional storage for geo-replicated systems. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles; 2011. p. 385–400.Google Scholar
- 5.Berenson H, Bernstein PA, Gray J, Melton J, O’Neil EJ, O’Neil PE. A critique of ANSI SQL isolation levels. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1995. p. 1–10.Google Scholar
- 7.Lin Y, Kemme B, Patiño-Martínez M, Jiménez-Peris R. Middleware based data replication providing snapshot isolation. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 2005. p. 419–30.Google Scholar
- 8.Daudjee K, Salem K. Lazy database replication with snapshot isolation. In: Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2006. p. 715–26.Google Scholar