Stream Processing on Modern Hardware
Stream processing is a computational paradigm for on-the-fly analysis of live data at scale. Given the ever-increasing number of online data sources, rate of streaming data, and growing demand for timely analysis, stream processing has gained an important place in today’s data-driven solution architectures. A key feature of the stream processing paradigm is its amenability to parallel execution, which in turn makes stream processing an attractive domain for taking advantage of modern hardware.
To cope with the increased power consumption associated with frequency scaling, hardware manufacturers have moved toward processors and coprocessors that contain multiple cores. Such designs can provide increased computational capacity without having to work at high frequencies and thus do not suffer from high power consumption. Yet, taking advantage of such hardware requires additional effort on the software side.
In the context of stream processing systems, three major kinds of...
- 1.Carney D, Çetintemel U, Cherniack M, Convey C, Lee S, Seidman G, Stonebraker M, Tatbul N, Zdonik BS. Monitoring streams – a new class of data management applications. In: Proceedings of the Very Large Data Bases Conference; 2002. p. 215–26.Google Scholar
- 4.Gordon MI, Thies W, Amarasinghe S. Exploiting coarse-grained task, data, and pipeline parallelism in stream programs. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems; 2006. p. 151–62.Google Scholar
- 5.Hormati A, Kudlur M, Mahlke SA, Bacon DF, Rabbah MR. Optimus: efficient realization of streaming applications on FPGAs. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and Synthesis for Embedded Systems; 2008. p. 41–50.Google Scholar
- 7.Karnagel T, Habich D, Schlegel B, Lehner W, The HELLS-join: a heterogeneous stream join for extremely large windows. In: Proceedings of the 9th Workshop on Data Management on New Hardware; 2013.Google Scholar
- 11.Sadoghi M, Javed R, Tarafdar N, Singh H, Palaniappan R, Jacobsen H-A. Multi-query stream processing on FPGAs. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Data Engineering; 2012. p. 1229–32.Google Scholar
- 12.Schneider S, Andrade H, Gedik B, Wu K-L, Nikolopoulos D. Evaluation of streaming aggregation on parallel hardware architectures. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event-based Systems; 2010. p. 248–57.Google Scholar
- 14.Udupa A, Govindarajan R, Thazhuthaveetil JM. Software pipelined execution of stream programs on GPUs. In: Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization; 2009. p. 200–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang Y, Mueller F. GStream: a general-purpose data streaming framework on GPU clusters. In: Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Parallel Processing; 2011. p. 245–54.Google Scholar