W3C XML path language; W3C XML query language
XPath (XML path language) and XQuery (XML query language) are query languages defined by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) for querying XML documents.
XPath is a language based on path expressions that allows the selection of parts of a given XML document. In addition it also allows some minor computations resulting in values such as strings, numbers or booleans. The semantics of the language is based on a representation of the information content of an XML document as an ordered tree. An XPath expression consist usually of a series of steps that each navigate through this tree in a certain direction and select the nodes in that direction that satisfy certain properties.
XQuery is a declarative, statically typed query language for querying collections of XML documents such as the World Wide Web, a file system or a database. It is based on the same interpretation of XML documents as XPath, and includes XPath as a...
- 1.Brundage M. XQuery: the XML query language. Reading: Pearson Higher Education/Addison-Wesley; 2004.Google Scholar
- 2.Chamberlin DD, Robie J, Florescu D. Quilt: an XML query language for heterogeneous data sources. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on the World Wide Web and Databases; 2000. p. 53–62.Google Scholar
- 3.Hidders J, Paredaens J, Vercammen R, Demeyer S. A light but formal introduction to XQuery. In: Proceedings of the Database and XML Technologies, 2nd International XML Database Symposium; 2004. p. 5–20.Google Scholar
- 4.Katz H, Chamberlin D, Kay M, Wadler P, Draper D. XQuery from the experts: a guide to the W3C XML query language. Boston: Addison-Wesley Longman; 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Walmsley P. XQuery. Beijing: O’Reilly Media; 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.W3C. W3C XML query (XQuery). http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/
- 8.W3C. XML path language (XPath), version 1.0, W3C recommendation 16 Nov 1999. http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/. Nov 1999.
- 9.W3C. XML path language (XPath) 2.0, W3C recommendation 23 Jan 2007. http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/. Jan 2007.
- 10.W3C. XQuery 1.0: an XML query language, W3C recommendation 23 Jan 2007. http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/. Jan 2007.