Bottom-up semantics; Evolutionary semantics
Emergent semantics refers to a set of principles and techniques analyzing the evolution of decentralized semantic structures in large scale distributed information systems. Emergent semantics approaches model the semantics of a distributed system as an ensemble of relationships between syntactic structures. They consider both the representation of semantics and the discovery of the proper interpretation of symbols as the result of a self-organizing process performed by distributed agents exchanging symbols and having utilities dependent on the proper interpretation of the symbols. This is a complex systems perspective on the problem of dealing with semantics.
Syntax is classically considered as the study of the rules of symbol formation and manipulation . Despite its wide usage in many contexts, the notion of semanticsoften lacks a precise definition. As a least common denominator, it can be...
- 1.Aberer K, Cudré-Mauroux P, Hauswirth M. The Chatty Web: emergent semantics through gossiping. In: Proceedings of the 12th International World Wide Web Conference; 2003. p. 197–206.Google Scholar
- 2.Bar-Yam Y. Dynamics of complex systems: Perseus Books Group; 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Cudré-Mauroux P. Emergent semantics: rethinking interoperability for large-scale decentralized information systems. Ph.D. thesis, 3690, EPFL, Switzerland, 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Markines B, Cattuto C, Menczer F, Benz D, Hotho A, Stumme G. Evaluating similarity measures for emergent semantics of social tagging. In: Proceedings of the 18th International World Wide Web Conference; 2009; 641–50.Google Scholar
- 9.Morris C. Foundations of the theory of signs. International encyclopedia of unified science, vol. 1(2). 1938.Google Scholar
- 10.Ogden C, Richards I. The meaning of meaning: a study of the influence of language upon thought and of the science of symbolism. 10th ed. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul; 1923.Google Scholar
- 15.Tanasescu V, Streibel O. Extreme tagging: emergent semantics through the tagging of tags. In: Proceedings of international workshop on emergent semantics and ontology evolution; 2007. p. 84–94.Google Scholar
- 16.Yeung C, Gibbins N, Shadbolt N. Understanding the semantics of ambiguous tags in folksonomies. In: Proceedings of International Workshop on Emergent Semantics and Ontology Evolution; 2007. p. 108–21.Google Scholar