Visual Data Mining
Immersive data mining; VDM; Visual analysis; Visual data analysis; Visual discovery
Visual data mining (VDM) is the process of interaction and analytical reasoning with one or more visual representations of abstract data. The process may lead to the visual discovery of robust patterns in these data or provide some guidance for the application of other data mining and analytics techniques. It facilitates analysts in obtaining deeper understanding of the underlying structures in a data set. The process relies on the tight interconnectedness of tasks, selection of visual representations, the corresponding set of interactive manipulations, and respective analytical techniques. Discovered patterns form the information and knowledge utilized in decision making.
Visual exploration of large data sets had been used as a complementary technique to data mining in order to obtain additional information about the data set. Since the early 1990s there has...
- 1.Ankerst M. Visual data mining. Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Munich, Munich. 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Chen C. Information visualization: beyond the horizon. London: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Isenberg P, Tang A, Carpendale S. An exploratory study of visual information analysis. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems; 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.Keim DA, Mansmann F, Schneidewind J, Ziegler H. Challenges in visual data analysis. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Visualization; 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Niggemann O. Visual data mining of graph-based data. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Paderborn, Paderborn, Germany. 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.Simoff SJ, Böhlen M, Mazeika A, editors. Visual data mining: theory, techniques and tools for visual analytics. Heidelberg: Springer; 2008.Google Scholar
- 14.Soukup T, Davidson I. Visual data mining: techniques and tools for data visualization and mining. London: Wiley; 2002.Google Scholar
- 15.Thomas JJ, Cook KA. Illuminating the path: the research and development agenda for visual analytics. Silver Spring: IEEE CS Press; 2005.Google Scholar