View-Based Data Integration
Data Integration (or Information Integration) is the problem of finding and combining data from different sources. View-based Data Integration is a framework that solves the data integration problem for structured data by integrating sources into a single unified view. This integration is facilitated by a declarative mapping language that allows the specification of how each source relates to the unified view. Depending on the type of view specification language used, view-based data integration systems (VDISs) are said to follow the Global as View (GAV), Local as View (LAV) or Global and Local as View (GLAV) approach.
Data needed by an application are often provided by a multitude of data sources. The sources often employ heterogeneous data formats (e.g., text files, web pages, XML documents, relational databases), structure the data in different ways and can be accessed through different methods (e.g., web forms, database clients). This makes the task...
- 1.Abiteboul S, Duschka OM. Complexity of answering queries using materialized views. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1998. p. 254–63.Google Scholar
- 2.Carey MJ, Haas LM, Schwarz PM, Arya M, Cody WF, Fagin R, Flickner M, Luniewski A, Niblack W, Petkovic D, Thomas II J, Williams JH, Wimmers EL. Towards heterogeneous multimedia information systems: the garlic approach. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Research Issues on Data Engineering; 1995. p. 124–31.Google Scholar
- 3.Fagin R, Kolaitis PG, Miller RJ, Popa L. Data exchange: semantics and query answering. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Database Theory; 2002. p. 207–24.Google Scholar
- 4.Friedman M, Levy A, Millstein T. Navigational plans for data integration. In: Proceedings of the 16th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence and 11th Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference; 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Genesereth MR, Keller AM, Duschka OM. Infomaster: an information integration system. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Halevy A. Logic-based techniques in data integration. In: Logic based artificial intelligence. 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Kirk T, Levy AY, Sagiv Y, Srivastava D. The information manifold. In: Information gathering from heterogeneous, distributed environments. 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.Landers T, Rosenberg RL. An overview of MULTIBASE. Distributed systems, vol. II: distributed data base systems table of contents. 1986. p. 391–421.Google Scholar
- 12.Lenzerini M. Data integration: a theoretical perspective. In: Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Manolescu I, Florescu D, Kossmann D. Answering XML queries over heterogeneous data sources. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.Widom J. Research problems in data warehousing. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Yu C, Popa L. Constraint-based XML query rewriting for data integration. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2004.Google Scholar