Video abstraction; Video skimming
Video summarization is to generate a short summary of the content of a longer video document by selecting and presenting the most informative or interesting materials for potential users. The output summary is usually composed of a set of keyframes or video clips extracted from the original video with some editing process. The aim of video summarization is to speed up browsing of a large collection of video data, and achieve efficient access and representation of the video content. By watching the summary, users can make quick decisions on the usefulness of the video. Dependent on applications and target users, the evaluation of summary often involves usability studies to measure the content informativeness and quality of a summary.
Due to the advance of web technologies and the popularity of video capture devices in the past few decades, the amount of video data is dramatically increasing. This creates a...
- 1.Duan LY, Xu M, Chua TS, Tian Q, Xu C A mid-level representation framework for semantic sports video analysis. In: Proceedings of the 11th ACM International Conference on Multimedia; 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.Ma YF, Lu L, Zhang HJ, Li M. A user attention model for video summarization. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM International Conference on Multimedia; 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.Omoigui N, He L, Gupta A, Grudin J, Sanocki E. Time-compression: system concerns, usage, and benefits. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems; 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.Over P, Smeaton AF, Kelly P. The TRECVID 2007 BBC rushes summarization evaluation pilot. In: Proceedings of the TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation BBC Rushes Summarization Workshop in ACM Multimedia; 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Smith MA, Kanade T. Video skimming and characterization through the combination of image and language understanding. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Content-based Access of Image and Video Database; 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.Wang F, Ngo CW. Rushes video summarization by object and event understanding. In: Proceedings of the TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Workshop on Rushes Summarization in ACM Multimedia Conference; 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.Xu C, Shao X, Maddage NC, Kankanhalli MS. Automatic music video summarization based on audio-visual-text analysis and alignment. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval; 2005. p. 361–8.Google Scholar