After a definition of cash demand and its peculiarities, cash demand is compared to the more encompassing money demand. Then, the main economic influences on cash demand are explained. A final point exhibits future developments of cash demand which is threatened by electronic inventions enhancing a cashless society.
- Bartzsch N, Rösl G, Seitz F (2011) Foreign demand for euro banknotes issued in Germany: estimation using direct approaches. Deutsche Bundesbank discussion paper series 1: economic studies No. 20/2011Google Scholar
- Deutsche Bundesbank (2009) The development and determinants of euro currency in circulation in Germany. Monthly report. 45–58Google Scholar
- Deutsche Bundesbank (2012) The usage, costs and benefits of cash – theory and evidence from macro and micro data. Deutsche Bundesbank, FrankfurtGoogle Scholar
- European Central Bank (2011) The use of euro banknotes – results of two surveys among households and firms. Mo Bull 75–90Google Scholar
- Fischer B, Köhler, P, Seitz, F (2004) The demand for euro area currencies: past, present and future. in: European Central Bank working paper series, No. 330 April 2004Google Scholar
- Lippi F, Secchi A (2009) Technological change and the households’ demand for currency. J Monet Econ 56(2):222–230Google Scholar