- 17 Downloads
Human factors in health care focuses on improving health-care quality, including patient safety and patient outcomes (Carayon et al. 2014). For behavioral medicine, the goals of human factors are facilitating effective knowledge, techniques, and changes for disease...
… the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of interactions among humans and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data, and other methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance.
Ergonomics helps harmonize things that inter with people in terms of people’s need, abilities and limitations. (International Ergonomics Association 2019)
References and Further Reading
- Austin, M., & Derk, J. (2019). Lives lost, lives saved: An updated comparative analysis of avoidable deaths at hospitals graded by The Leapfrog Group. Retrieved August 8, 2019 from https://www.hospitalsafetygrade.org/media/file/Lives-Saved-White-Paper-FINAL.pdf.
- Carayon, P., Wetterneck, T. B., Rivera-Rodriguez, A. J., Hundt, A. S., Hoonakker, P., Holden, R., & Gurses, A. P. (2014). Human factors systems approach to healthcare quality and patient safety. Applied Ergonomics, 45(1), 14–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2013.04.023.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- International Ergonomics Association (2019). What is ergonomics? Definitions and domains of ergonomics. Retrieved July 31, 2019 from https://www.iea.cc/whats/index.html.
- Mohr, D. C., Montague, E., Stiles-Shields, C., Kaiser, S. M., Brenner, C., Carty-Fickes, E., et al. (2015). MedLink: A mobile intervention to address failure points in the treatment of depression in general medicine. In Proceedings of the 9th international conference on pervasive computing technologies for healthcare (pp. 100–107). https://doi.org/10.4108/icst.pervasivehealth.2015.259042.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Norman, D. A. (2002). The design of everyday things. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2018, March). 10 facts on patient safety. Retrieved August 8, 2019 from https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/patient_safety/en/.