Neuropsychology is a subdivision of the field of psychology that is concerned with the investigation of brain-behavior relationships. The broad category of neuropsychology can be further divided into experimental neuropsychology and clinical neuropsychology, with this latter specialty definable as an applied science focusing on the behavioral sequelae and manifestations of brain dysfunction.
Neuropsychology is currently one of the fastest-growing scientific specialty areas in the field of psychology, and the subspecialty area of human clinical neuropsychology is of direct relevance to behavior medicine practitioners and researchers as well as physicians in clinical practice, especially neurologists and neurosurgeons. Neuropsychologists in clinical practice use a variety of specially constructed tests and test batteries to assess the...
References and Further Reading
- Armstrong, C., & Morrow, L. (Eds.). (2010). Handbook of medical neuropsychology; applications of cognitive neuroscience. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Davis, A., & D’Amato, C. (Eds.). (2010). Handbook of pediatric neuropsychology. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Grant, I., & Adams, K. M. (Eds.). (2009). Neuropsychological assessment of neuropsychiatric and neuromedical disorders. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Joseph, R. (Ed.). (2013). Neuropsychology, neuropsychiatry, and behavioral neurology. New York: Springer Science and Business Media.Google Scholar
- Kolb, B., & Whishaw, I. Q. (2015). Fundamentals of human neuropsychology (7th ed.). New York: Worth Publishers.Google Scholar
- Kreutzer, J., DeLuca, J., & Caplan, B. (2011). Encyclopedia of clinical neuropsychology. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lezak, M. D., Howieson, D., Bigler, E., & Tranel, D. (2012). Neuropsychological assessment (5th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, R. A., & Warrington, E. K. (2013). Cognitive neuropsychology: A clinical introduction (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic.Google Scholar
- Morgan, J., & Ricker, J. (Eds.). (2016). Textbook of clinical neuropsychology. New York: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, C. R., & Fletcher-Janzen (Eds.). (2013). Handbook of clinical child neuropsychology. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Waldstein, S. R., & Elias, M. F. (Eds.). (2015). Neuropsychology of cardiovascular disease. New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar