Communication and Symbolic Behavior Scales-Normed Edition (2003)
- 26 Downloads
The Communication and Symbolic Behavior Scales (CSBS; Wetherby and Prizant 2003) looks at the communicative, social-affective, and symbolic abilities of children whose functional communication age is between 8 months and 2 years. Its purpose is to assess infants, toddlers, and preschool children, and it may be used with children whose chronological age ranges from about 8 months to 5–6 years, if their developmental age is younger than 24 months. The CSBS provides quantitative and qualitative information about a child’s communicative and symbolic abilities.
The CSBS contains three formal tests: the CSBS Caregiver Questionnaire, the CSBS Behavior Sample, and the Caregiver Perception Rating form. The CSBS Caregiver Questionnaire gains information from the caregiver regarding the child’s communication and symbolic abilities and can be administered prior to the child’s direct assessment. The questionnaire can be completed in about 15–20 min. The CSBS Behavior Sample is a...
References and Reading
- Dos Santos, K. (2009). Facilitating initiating joint attention in children with autism spectrum disorder (Masters dissertation). University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.Google Scholar
- Eadia, P. A., Ukoumunne, O., Skeat, J., Prior, M. R., Bavin, E., Bretherton, L., & Reilly, S. (2010). Assessing early communication behaviours: Structure and validity of the communication and symbolic behaviour scales – Developmental profile (CSBS-DP) in 12-month-old infants. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 45(5), 572–585.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swettenham, J., Baron-Cohen, S., Charman, T., Cox, A., Baird, G., Drew, A., et al. (1998). The frequency and distribution of spontaneous attention shifts between social and non-social stimuli in autistic, typically developing, and non-autistic developmentally delayed infants. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 39, 747–753.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wetherby, A. M., & Prizant, B. M. (1990). Communication and symbolic behavior scale – Research edition. Chicago: Riverside.Google Scholar
- Wetherby, A. M., & Prizant, B. M. (2002). Communication and symbolic behaviour scales – Normed edition. Baltimore: Paul H. Brooks Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Wetherby, A. M., & Prizant, B. M. (2003). Communication and symbolic behavior scale (CSBS). Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company.Google Scholar