Study of Tyrosine Kinases and Protein Tyrosine Phosphorylation
In recent years, our increased understanding of the complex signal transduction mechanisms that regulate cellular function has fueled huge advances in all aspects of biomedical science and cell biology. Platelet and megakaryocyte function is no exception to this. In the last 10 yr our understanding of the receptor biochemistry and the systems that they control has been pivotal in the development of new strategies to inhibit platelet function and thereby prevent thrombosis. Experimental techniques have become more and more elegant, however; the basic toolbox that a researcher requires to study signaling in platelets and megakaryoctes is described in this and several subsequent chapters.
KeywordsTyrosine Phosphorylation HEPES Buffer Kinase Assay Protein Tyrosine Phosphorylation Platelet Suspension
- 9.Cicmil, M., Thomas, J. M., Sage, T, Barry, F. A., Leduc, M., Bon, C., et al. (2000) Collagen, convulxin, and thrombin stimulate aggregation-independent tyrosine phosphorylation of CD31 in platelets. Evidence for the involvement of Src family kinases. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 27,339–27,347.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Achison, M., Knight, G. G., Barnes, M. J., and Farndale, R. W. (1997) Activation by collagen and a collagen-related peptide of the intracellular tyrosine kinase, P125(fak), in human platelets which is independent of the integrin α2β1. Thromb. Haemost. PD637–PD637.Google Scholar
- 16.Gibbins, J. M., Briddon, S., Shutes, A., van Vugt, M. J., van de Winkel, J. G., Saito, T., et al. (1998) The p85 subunit of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase associates with the Fc receptor gamma-chain and linker for activitor of T cells (LAT) in platelets stimulated by collagen and convulxin. J. Biol. Chem. 273, 34,437–34,443.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhang, J., Zhang, J., Shattil, S. J., Cunningham, M. C., and Rittenhouse, S. E. (1996) Phos-phoinositide 3-kinase gamma and p85/phosphoinositide 3-kinase in platelets. Relative activation by thrombin receptor or beta-phorbol myristate acetate and roles in promoting the ligand-binding function of alphaIIbbeta3 integrin. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 6265–6572.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Cho, M. J., Pestina, T. I., Steward, S. A., Lowell, C. A., Jackson, C. W., and Gartner, T. K. (2002) Role of the Src family kinase Lyn in TxA2 production, adenosine diphosphate secretion, Akt phosphorylation, and irreversible aggregation in platelets stimulated with γ-thrombin. Blood 99, 2442–2447.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar