Ribozymes Targeted Against AML1/MTG8
It is often found that tumors have chromosomal translocation, especially in hematological malignancies. A specific chromosomal translocation is related to a specific type of disease. Recent studies have revealed that genetic aberrations originated from these chromosomal translocations have a key role in oncogenesis. Formation of a chimeric fusion gene is one such genetic aberration. Because chimeric fusion genes are expressed specifically in tumor cells and participate in oncogenesis, specific gene inhibition of the chimeric fusion genes is thought to be a good approach for treatment.
KeywordsCationic Liposome Cleavage Reaction Hammerhead Ribozyme Reduce Serum Medium Saran Wrap
- 4.Erickson, P., Gao, J., Chang, K. S., Look, T, Whisenant, E., Raimondi, S, Trujillo, J., Rowley, J, and Drabkin, H (1992) Identification of breakpoints in t(8;21) acute myelogenous leukemia and isolation of a fusion transcript, AML1/ETO, with similarity to Drosophila segmentation gene, runt Blood 80, 1825–1831.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Miyoshi, H., Kozu, T., Shimizu, K., Enomoto, K., Maseki, N., Kaneko Y., Kamada, N., and Ohki, M. (1993) The t(8;21) translocation in acute myeloid leukemia results in production of an AML1-MTG8 fusion transcript. EMBOJ 12, 2715–2721.Google Scholar
- 8.Sakakura, C, Yamaguchi-Iwai, Y., Satake, M, Bae, S C, Takahashi, A., Ogawa, E, Hagiwara, A, Takahashi, T, Murakami, A, Makino, K., Nakagawa, T, Kamada, N, and Ito, Y (1994) Growth inhibition and induction of differentiation of t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia cells by the DNA-binding domain of PEBP2 and the AML 1/ MTG8 (ETO)-specific antisense oligonucleotide. Proc Nutl Acad Sci USA 91, 11,723–11,727.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Tanaka, T, Tanaka, K, Ogawa, S., Kurokawa, M, Mitani, K, Nishida, J, Shibata, Y., Yazaki, Y, and Hirai, H. (1995) An acute myeloid leukemia gene, AML1, regulates hemopoietic myeloid cell differentiation and transcriptional activation antagonistically by two alternative spliced forms. EMBOJ 14, 341–350.Google Scholar
- 12.Era, T., Asou, N., Kunisada, T, Yamasaki, H., Asou, H., Kamada, N., Nishikawa, S, Yamaguchi, K., and Takatsuki, K (1995) Identification of two transcripts of AML1/ETO-fused gene in t(8;21) leukemic cells and expression of wild-type ETO gene in hematopoietic cells Gene Chromosom Cancer 13, 25–33.CrossRefGoogle Scholar