PCR Amplification and Cloning of Virtually Full-Length HIV-1 Provirus
Molecular analyses of HIV-1 variation, and its impact on the biological properties of the virus have by necessity been restricted by the scarcity of cloned proviruses. Only a handful of full-length clones exist (1), and of these, even a smaller fraction are infectious upon transfection into cell lines. Furthermore, the available infectious clones only represent subtypes B and D (1). The main reasons for the lack of infectious clones are related to the relatively low copy number of proviral DNA especially in primary cultures (8).
KeywordsVortex Nylon MgSO4 Ampicillin Ethidium
- 1.Myers, G., Korber, B., Hanhn, B. K., Jeang, K.-T., Mellors, J. W., McCutchan, F. E., et al. (eds.) (1995) Human Retroviruses and AIDS Theoretical Biology and Biophysics, Group T-10, MS K710, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM.Google Scholar
- 3.Hahn, B. H., Gonda, M. A., Shaw, G. M., Popovic, M., Hoxie, J. A., Gallo, R. C., and Wong-Staal, F. (1985) Genomic diversity of the acquired immune deficiency syndrome virus HTLV-III: different viruses exhibit greatest divergence in their envelope genes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82, 4813–4817.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Li, Y., Hui, H., Burgess, C. J., Price, R. W., Sharp, P. M., Hahn, B. H., and Shaw, G. M. (1992) Complete nucleotide sequence, genome organization, and biological properties of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in vivo: evidence for limited defectiveness and complementation. J. Virol. 66, 6587–6600.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li, Y., Kappes, J. C., Conway, J. A., Price, R. W., Shaw, G. M., and Hahn, B. H. (1991) Molecular characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 cloned directly from uncultured human brain tissue: identification of replication-competent and-defective viral genomes. J. Virol. 65, 3973–3985.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Isolation of DNA from mammalian cells: Protocol I (1989) in, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual (Sambrook, J., Fritch, E. F., and Maniatis, T., eds.), 2nd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.Google Scholar