PCR Amplification and Cloning of Virtually Full-Length HIV-1 Provirus
Molecular analyses of HIV-1 variation, and its impact on the biological properties of the virus have by necessity been restricted by the scarcity of cloned proviruses. Only a handful of full-length clones exist (1), and of these, even a smaller fraction are infectious upon transfection into cell lines. Furthermore, the available infectious clones only represent subtypes B and D (1). The main reasons for the lack of infectious clones are related to the relatively low copy number of proviral DNA especially in primary cultures (8).
KeywordsMicrofuge Tube Infectious Clone Polymerase Chain Reaction Tube Triethylammonium Salt Disposable Glove
- 1.Myers, G., Korber, B., Hanhn, B. K., Jeang, K.-T., Mellors, J. W., McCutchan, F. E., et al. (eds.) (1995) Human Retroviruses and AIDS Theoretical Biology and Biophysics, Group T-10, MS K710, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM.Google Scholar
- 3.Hahn, B. H., Gonda, M. A., Shaw, G. M., Popovic, M., Hoxie, J. A., Gallo, R. C., and Wong-Staal, F. (1985) Genomic diversity of the acquired immune deficiency syndrome virus HTLV-III: different viruses exhibit greatest divergence in their envelope genes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82, 4813–4817.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Li, Y., Hui, H., Burgess, C. J., Price, R. W., Sharp, P. M., Hahn, B. H., and Shaw, G. M. (1992) Complete nucleotide sequence, genome organization, and biological properties of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in vivo: evidence for limited defectiveness and complementation. J. Virol. 66, 6587–6600.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li, Y., Kappes, J. C., Conway, J. A., Price, R. W., Shaw, G. M., and Hahn, B. H. (1991) Molecular characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 cloned directly from uncultured human brain tissue: identification of replication-competent and-defective viral genomes. J. Virol. 65, 3973–3985.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Isolation of DNA from mammalian cells: Protocol I (1989) in, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual (Sambrook, J., Fritch, E. F., and Maniatis, T., eds.), 2nd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.Google Scholar