Cultures of Proliferating Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells from Adult Human Aorta
Abnormal proliferation of human vascular smooth muscle cells (hVSMCs) is a central event in the development of atherosclerosis (1, 2, 3) As a result, there is considerable interest in the establishment of hVSMC cultures as a mode1 of this disease process However, it has been noted in the past (4,5) that hVSMCs, especially when cultured by the enzyme-dispersal technique (hVSMC,ED), grow poorly in culture compared to VSMCs from other species (e.g., rat) This has limited their use for cell-culture studies. We have recently reported that the reduced proliferative capacity of hVSMCED from adult aorta can be attributed to the endogenous production of active TGF-β(6,7). We (6, 7, 8) and others (9, 10, 11) have shown that TGF-β; is a potent inhibtior of smooth muscle cell proliferation. Moreover, recent studies in animal models of atherosclerosis (12) have suggested that TGF-P plays a pivotal role in regulation of vessel wall architecture (13). We have also shown that hVSMCs derived by the alternative method of explanting (hVSMCEX) have a greater proliferative capacity than the hVSMCED (14) In accordance with our hypotheses, the cells grown from explanted tissue did not produce TGF-β; (14).
KeywordsFetal Calf Serum Muscle Strip Scalpel Blade Plating Density Human Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell
- 6.Kirschenlohr, H. L, Metcalfe, J. C., Weissberg, P L, and Grainger, D. J (1993) Adult human aortlc smooth muscle cells in culture produce active TGF-�BD;. Am J Physiol 265, C57l–C576Google Scholar
- 8.Grainger, D J, Kemp, P. R., Witchell, C M, Weissberg, P L, and Metcalfe, J C (1994) Transforming growth factor �DF; decreases the rate of proliferation of rat vascular smooth muscle cells by extending the G, phase of the cell cycle and delays the rise in cychc AMP before entry into M phase Biochem J 299, 227–235PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bjorkerud, S (1991) Effects of transforming growth factor �DF;1 on human arterial smooth muscle cells in vitro Arteriosclerosis Thromb 11, 892–902Google Scholar
- 13.Grainger, D J and Metcalfe, J C (1995) A pivotal role for TGF-�DF; in athero genesis? Biol Rev Camb Phdos Soc, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 18.Grainger, D J, Witchell, C M., Weissberg, P L., and Metcalfe, J C (1992) Heterogeneity, dedifferentiation and proliferation of primary rat vascular smooth muscle cells and clones J Mol Cell Cardiol 24(suppl. I), 236Google Scholar