Quantification of Arginine and Dimethylated Arginines in Human Plasma by Field-Amplified Sample Injection Capillary Electrophoresis UV Detection
We report a capillary electrophoresis method by field-amplified sample injection (FASI) for the separation and detection of free plasma arginine and dimethylated arginines. Protein elimination from plasma was performed by acetonitrile/ammonia precipitation. Supernatants were dried, reswollen in water, and directly injected on capillary without complex cleanup by solid-phase extraction and/or tedious sample derivatization procedures. Analytes were baseline-separated within 22 min by using 50 mmol/L Tris phosphate pH 2.3 as running buffer. Due to the stacking effects of electrokinetic injection, it is possible to perform a considerable on-line preconcentration of the analytes before running the electrophoresis. This procedure allows to reach a detection limit in real sample of 10 nmol/L for dimethylated arginines and 20 nmol/L for arginine. Recovery of plasma ADMA was 99–104 % and inter-day CV was less than 3 %.
Key wordsCapillary electrophoresis FASI ADMA SDMA arginine
- 13.Marra M, Bonfigli AR, Testa R, Testa I, Gambini A, Coppa G (2003) High-performance liquid chromatographic assay of asymmetric dimethylarginine, symmetric dimethylarginine, and arginine in human plasma by derivatization with naphthalene-2,3-dicarboxaldehyde. Anal Biochem 318:13–17PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Nonaka S, Tsunoda M, Imai K, Funatsu T (2005) High-performance liquid chromatographic assay of NG-monomethyl- L-arginine, NG, NG-dimethyl-L-arginine, and NG, NG′-dimethyl-L-arginine using 4-fluoro-7-nitro-2,1,3-benzoxadiazole as a fluorescent reagent. J Chromatogr A 1066:41–45PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Tsikas D, Schubert B, Gutzki FM, Sandmann J, Frölich JC (2003) Quantitative determination of circulating and urinary asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) in humans by gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry as methylester tri(N-pentafluoropropionyl) derivative. J Chromatogr B 798:87–99CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Martens-Lobenhoffer J, Bode-Böger SM (2003) Simultaneous detection of arginine, asymmetric dimethylarginine, symmetric dimethylarginine and citrulline in human plasma and urine applying liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry with very straightforward sample preparation. J Chromatogr B 798:231–239CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Macià A, Borrull F, Aguilar C, Calull M (2004) Application of capillary electrophoresis with different sample stacking strategies for the determination of a group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the low microg x L(−1) concentration range. Electrophoresis 25:428–436PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar