Analysis of Inflammatory Mediators in Newborn Dried Blood Spot Samples by Chip-Based Immunoaffinity Capillary Electrophoresis
A chip-based immunoaffinity capillary electrophoresis (ICE) system has been developed for measuring inflammatory mediators in dried blood samples routinely taken from newborn babies. A defined area of each dried blood spot was removed from the sample card and its contents eluted. The recovered eluates were injected into the chip and the analytes of interest isolated by the immunoaffinity disk within the chip. The captured analytes were labeled in-situ with a red light-emitting laser dye and electro-eluted into the chip separation channel. Electrophoretic separation of all of the analytes was achieved within 2.0 min with quantification of each peak being performed by online LIF detection and integration of each peak area. The degree of accuracy and precision achieved by the chip-based system is comparable to conventional immunoassays and the system is robust enough to be applied to the analysis of clinical samples.
Key wordsCapillary electrophoresis Dried blood spots Microchip Immunoaffinity Cytokines Chemokines Inflammation Newborns
This work was supported by the intra-mural research programme at NIH.
- 13.Inaba Y, Schwartz CE, Bui QM, Li X, Skinner C, Field M, Wotton T, Hagerman RJ, Francis D, Amor DJ, Hopper JL, Loesch DZ, Bretherton L, Slater HR, Godler DE (2014) Early detection of fragile X syndrome: applications of a novel approach for improved quantitative methylation analysis in venous blood and newborn blood spots. Clin Chem 60:963–973CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Page-Sharp M, Strunk T, Salman S, Hibbert J, Patole SK, Manning L, Batty KT (2017) Simultaneous determination of pentoxifylline, metabolites M1 (lisofylline), M4 and M5, and caffeine in plasma and dried blood spots for pharmacokinetic studies in preterm infants and neonates. J Pharm Biomed Anal 146:302–313CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Welling L, Boelen A, Derks TG, Schielen PC, de Vries M, Williams M, Wijburg FA, Bosch AM (2017) Nine years of newborn screening for classical galactosemia in the Netherlands: effectiveness of screening methods, and identification of patients with previously unreported phenotypes. Mol Genet Metab 120:223–228CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Guzman NA, Phillips TM (2011) Immunoaffinity capillary electrophoresis: a new versatile tool for determining protein biomarkers in inflammatory processes. Electrophoresis 32:1565–1578Google Scholar
- 26.Pierce Biotechnology Technical Tip #6 (2008) Extinction coefficients. http://www.piercenet.com/previews/guides/tech-tips/