Recovery of a Paramyxovirus, the Human Metapneumovirus, from Cloned cDNA
Human metapneumovirus (HMPV), a single-stranded negative-sense RNA virus belonging to the family Paramyxoviridae, is associated with respiratory tract illness, primarily in young children and persons with underlying disease. Based on genetic and antigenic variation, HMPV strains are classified into two serotypes, with isolates NL/1/00 and NL/1/99 as prototypes for serotypes A and B, respectively. The development of plasmid-based reverse genetics systems for both serotypes has resulted in developments of a wide range of vaccine candidates against HMPV infection. The approach to virus rescue of HMPV is similar to that used for other paramyxoviruses, starting with mini-replicon assays for optimizations of the rescue protocols and subsequent replacement of the mini genome with a plasmid expressing the cDNA of the full-length viral RNA genome. Here, we provide detailed information on the reverse genetics systems for HMPV.
Key wordsHuman metapneumovirus HMPV Single-stranded negative RNA virus Reverse genetics Virus rescue
We like to thank M. de Graaf and S. Herfst for their valuable contribution to the research field of human metapneumovirus, through the development of the rescue genetics systems.
- 3.Collins PL, Hill MG, Camargo E, Grosfeld H, Chanock RM, Murphy BR (1995) Production of infectious human respiratory syncytial virus from cloned cDNA confirms an essential role for the transcription elongation factor from the 5′ proximal open reading frame of the M2 mRNA in gene expression and provides a capability for vaccine development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92(25):11563–11567CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Herfst S, de Graaf M, Schickli JH, Tang RS, Kaur J, Yang CF, Spaete RR, Haller AA, van den Hoogen BG, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA (2004) Recovery of human metapneumovirus genetic lineages a and B from cloned cDNA. J Virol 78(15):8264–8270. doi: 10.1128/JVI.78.15.8264-8270.2004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.de Graaf M, Herfst S, Aarbiou J, Burgers PC, Zaaraoui-Boutahar F, Bijl M, van Ijcken W, Schrauwen EJ, Osterhaus AD, Luider TM, Scholte BJ, Fouchier RA, Andeweg AC (2013) Small hydrophobic protein of human metapneumovirus does not affect virus replication and host gene expression in vitro. PLoS One 8(3):e58572. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0058572 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Herfst S, de Graaf M, Schrauwen EJ, Sprong L, Hussain K, van den Hoogen BG, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA (2008) Generation of temperature-sensitive human metapneumovirus strains that provide protective immunity in hamsters. J Gen Virol 89(7):1553–1562. doi: 10.1099/vir.0.2008/002022-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Buchholz UJ, Finke S, Conzelmann KK (1999) Generation of bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV) from cDNA: BRSV NS2 is not essential for virus replication in tissue culture, and the human RSV leader region acts as a functional BRSV genome promoter. J Virol 73(1):251–259PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.van den Hoogen BG, van Boheemen S, de Rijck J, van Nieuwkoop S, Smith DJ, Laksono B, Gultyaev A, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA (2014) Excessive production and extreme editing of human metapneumovirus defective interfering RNA is associated with type I IFN induction. J Gen Virol 95(Pt 8):1625–1633. doi: 10.1099/vir.0.066100-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar