Genome-Wide Comparison of Next-Generation Sequencing and qPCR Platforms for microRNA Profiling in Serum
This study compares next-generation sequencing (NGS) technologies that have been optimized specifically for biofluid samples, with more established qPCR-based methods for profiling microRNAs in biofluids. The same patient serum samples were analyzed by NGS and qPCR, and differences in the serum microRNA profile between HBV and HCV infected patients were investigated. While there was overall good agreement between NGS and qPCR, there were some differences between the platforms, highlighting the importance of validation.
Key wordsmicroRNA miRNA Next-generation sequencing NGS qPCR Real-time PCR Biofluids Serum Plasma Platform comparison HBV HCV Liquid biopsy Profiling Validation
We thank Jannie Rosendahl Christensen, Tine Charlotte Sandberg, and Efat Sadat for excellent technical assistance.
- 4.Brunetto MR, Cavallone D, Oliveri F, Moriconi F, Colombatto P, Coco B, Ciccorossi P, Rastelli C, Romagnoli V, Cherubini B, Teilum MW, Blondal T, Bonino F (2014) A serum microRNA signature is associated with the immune control of chronic hepatitis B virus infection. PLoS One 9(10):e110782CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hafner M, Renwick N, Brown M, Mihailović A, Holoch D, Lin C, Pena JT, Nusbaum JD, Morozov P, Ludwig J, Ojo T, Luo S, Schroth G, Tuschl T (2011) RNA-ligase-dependent biases in miRNA representation in deep-sequenced small RNA cDNA libraries. RNA 17(9):1697–1712CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mestdagh P, Hartmann N, Baeriswyl L, Andreasen D, Bernard N, Chen C, Cheo D, D’Andrade P, DeMayo M, Dennis L, Derveaux S, Feng Y, Fulmer-Smentek S, Gerstmayer B, Gouffon J, Grimley C, Lader E, Lee KY, Luo S, Mouritzen P, Narayanan A, Patel S, Peiffer S, Rüberg S, Schroth G, Schuster D, Shaffer JM, Shelton EJ, Silveria S, Ulmanella U, Veeramachaneni V, Staedtler F, Peters T, Guettouche T, Wong L, Vandesompele J (2014) Evaluation of quantitative miRNA expression platforms in the microRNA quality control (miRQC) study. Nat Methods 11(8):809–815CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Arroyo JD, Chevillet JR, Kroh EM, Ruf IK, Pritchard CC, Gibson DF, Mitchell PS, Bennett CF, Pogosova-Agadjanyan EL, Stirewalt DL, Tait JF, Tewari M (2011) Argonaute2 complexes carry a population of circulating microRNAs independent of vesicles in human plasma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(12):5003–5008CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hayes CN, Akamatsu S, Tsuge M, Miki D, Akiyama R, Abe H, Ochi H, Hiraga N, Imamura M, Takahashi S, Aikata H, Kawaoka T, Kawakami Y, Ohishi W, Chayama K (2012) Hepatitis B virus-specific miRNAs and Argonaute2 play a role in the viral life cycle. PLoS One 7(10):e47490CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Nassirpour R, Mathur S, Gosink MM, Li Y, Shoieb AM, Wood J, O’Neil SP, Homer BL, Whiteley LO (2014) Identification of tubular injury microRNA biomarkers in urine: comparison of next-generation sequencing and qPCR-based profiling platforms. BMC Genomics 15:485CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar