Accounting Artifacts in High-Throughput Toxicity Assays
Compound activity identification is the primary goal in high-throughput screening (HTS) assays. However, assay artifacts including both systematic (e.g., compound auto-fluorescence) and nonsystematic (e.g., noise) complicate activity interpretation. In addition, other than the traditional potency parameter, half-maximal effect concentration (EC50), additional activity parameters (e.g., point-of-departure, POD) could be derived from HTS data for activity profiling. A data analysis pipeline has been developed to handle the artifacts and to provide compound activity characterization with either binary or continuous metrics. This chapter outlines the steps in the pipeline using Tox21 glucocorticoid receptor (GR) β-lactamase assays, including the formats to identify either agonists or antagonists, as well as the counter-screen assays for identifying artifacts as examples. The steps can be applied to other lower-throughput assays with concentration-response data.
Key wordsHTS qHTS Concentration-response data Tox21 Assay artifacts Data analysis pipeline Point-of-departure
- 10.Hsieh J-H, Sedykh A, Huang R et al (2015) A data analysis pipeline accounting for artifacts in Tox21 quantitative high-throughput screening assays. J Biomol Screen 1087057115581317. doi: 10.1177/1087057115581317Google Scholar
- 11.Sedykh A (2015) Curvep. https://github.com/sedykh/curvep. Accessed 3 June 2016.
- 14.Filer DL, Kothiya P, Setzer WR et al (2015) EPA pipeline overview. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-08/documents/pipeline_overview.pdf. Accessed 25 March 2016
- 15.Behl M, Hsieh J-H, Shafer TJ, Mundy WR, Rice JR, Boyd WA et al Use of alternative assays to identify and prioritize organophosphorus flame retardants for potential developmental and neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology and Teratology; doi: 10.1016/j.ntt.2015.09.003
- 17.Judson RS (2014) ToxCast data processing overview. http://epa.gov/comptox/download_files/chemical_prioritization/Judson_CoP_Dec2014.pdf.Accessed 14 Aug. 2015