Quantification of the Triazole Antifungal Compounds Voriconazole and Posaconazole in Human Serum or Plasma Using Liquid Chromatography Electrospray Tandem Mass Spectrometry (HPLC-ESI-MS/MS)
Voriconazole and posaconazole are triazole antifungal compounds used in the treatment of fungal infections. Therapeutic drug monitoring of both compounds is recommended in order to guide drug dosing to achieve optimal blood concentrations. In this chapter we describe an HPLC-ESI-MS/MS method for the quantification of both compounds in human plasma or serum following a simple specimen preparation procedure. Specimen preparation consists of protein precipitation using methanol and acetonitrile followed by a cleanup step that involves filtration through a cellulose acetate membrane. The specimen is then injected into an HPLC-ESI-MS/MS equipped with a C18 column and separated over an acetonitrile gradient. Quantification of the drugs in the specimen is achieved by comparing the response of the unknown specimen to that of the calibrators in the standard curve using multiple reaction monitoring.
Key wordsAntifungal Triazole Voriconazole Posaconazole Mass spectrometry Fungal infection Therapeutic drug monitoring
- 1.Product information (2010) VFEND® (voriconazole). Available via Drugs@FDA database. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2010/021266s032lbl.pdf. Accessed 25 Feb 2015
- 2.Product information (2013) Noxafil® (posaconazole). Available via Drugs@FDA database. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/205053s000lbl.pdf. Accessed 25 Feb 2015
- 4.Hicks JK, Crews KR, Flynn P, Haidar CE, Daniels CC, Yang W, Panetta JC, Pei D, Scott JR, Molinelli AR, Broeckel U, Bhojwani D, Evans WE, Relling MV (2014) Voriconazole plasma concentrations in immunocompromised pediatric patients vary by CYP2C19 diplotypes. Pharmacogenomics 15(8):1065–1078PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Park WB, Kim NH, Kim KH, Lee SH, Nam WS, Yoon SH, Song KH, Choe PG, Kim NJ, Jang IJ, Oh MD, Yu KS (2012) The effect of therapeutic drug monitoring on safety and efficacy of voriconazole in invasive fungal infections: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 55(8):1080–1087CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gordien JB, Pigneux A, Vigouroux S, Tabrizi R, Accoceberry I, Bernadou JM, Rouault A, Saux MC, Breilh D (2009) Simultaneous determination of five systemic azoles in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Pharm Biomed Anal 50(5):932–938CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar