Detection of Stimulants and Narcotics by Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry and Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry for Sports Doping Control
Sports drug testing laboratories are required to detect several classes of compounds that are prohibited at all times, which include anabolic agents, peptide hormones, growth factors, beta-2 agonists, hormones and metabolic modulators, and diuretics/masking agents. Other classes of compounds such as stimulants, narcotics, cannabinoids, and glucocorticoids are also prohibited, but only when an athlete is in competition. A single class of compounds can contain a large number of prohibited substances and all of the compounds should be detected by the testing procedure. Since there are almost 70 stimulants on the prohibited list it can be a challenge to develop a single screening method that will optimally detect all the compounds. We describe a combined liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) testing method for detection of all the stimulants and narcotics on the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list. Urine for LC-MS/MS testing does not require sample pretreatment and is a direct dilute and shoot method. Urine samples for the GC-MS method require a liquid-liquid extraction followed by derivatization with trifluoroacetic anhydride.
Key wordsLiquid chromatography Gas chromatography Mass spectrometry Stimulants Narcotics Urine Doping World Anti-Doping Agency
- 1.The World Anti-Doping Code. The 2015 prohibited list. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/wada-2015-prohibited-list-en.pdf. Accessed 17 Feb 2015
- 2.Minimum required performance levels for detection and identification of non-threshold substances. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/wada_td2015mrpl_minimum_required_perf_levels_en.pdf. Accessed 28 Sep 2015
- 6.Guddat S, Solymos E, Orlovius A, Thomas A, Sigmund G, Geyer H, Thevis M, Schanzer W (2011) High-throughput screening for various classes of doping agents using a new ‘dilute-and-shoot’ liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry multi-target approach. Drug Test Anal 3:836–850CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Deventer K, Pozo OJ, Van Eenoo P, Delbeke FT (2009) Qualitative detection of diuretics and acidic metabolites of other doping agents in human urine by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Comparison between liquid-liquid extraction and direct injection. J Chromatogr B 1216:5819–5827CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Identification criteria for qualitative assays incorporating column chromatography and mass spectrometry. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/wada_td2015idcr_minimum_criteria_chromato-mass_spectro_conf_en.pdf. Accessed 28 Sep 2015