Tracking Mitochondrial DNA In Situ
The methods of the detection of (1) non-labeled and (2) BrdU-labeled mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) are described. They are based on the production of singlet oxygen by monovalent copper ions and the subsequent induction of DNA gaps. The ends of interrupted DNA serve as origins for the labeling of mtDNA by DNA polymerase I or they are utilized by exonuclease that degrades DNA strands, unmasking BrdU in BrdU-labeled DNA. Both methods are sensitive approaches without the need of additional enhancement of the signal or the use of highly sensitive optical systems.
Key wordsMitochondrial DNA Mitochondrial DNA replication Copper ions Biotin-16-dUTP Singlet oxygen
This work was supported by the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (TA03010598, TA03010719, and TE02000058), the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic [AZV 15-31604A] and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (LO1304).
- 10.van de Corput MP, van den Ouweland JM, Dirks RW, Hart LM, Bruining GJ, Maassen JA, Raap AK (1997) Detection of mitochondrial DNA deletions in human skin fibroblasts of patients with Pearson’s syndrome by two-color fluorescence in situ hybridization. J Histochem Cytochem 45:55–61CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Haines KM, Feldman EL, Lentz SI (2010) Visualization of mitochondrial DNA replication in individual cells by EdU signal amplification. J Vis Exp 45:e2147Google Scholar
- 14.Cristofoli WA, Wiebe LI, De Clercq E, Andrei G, Snoeck R, Balzarini J, Knaus EE (2007) 5-alkynyl analogs of arabinouridine and 2′-deoxyuridine: cytostatic activity against herpes simplex virus and varicella-zoster thymidine kinase gene-transfected cells. J Med Chem 50:2851–2857CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ligasová A, Strunin D, Friedecký D, Adam T, Koberna K (2015) A Fatal Combination: A Thymidylate Synthase Inhibitor with DNA Damaging Activity. PLoS One 10(2):e0117459Google Scholar
- 21.Tkatchenko AV (2006) Whole-mount BrdU staining of proliferating cells by DNase treatment: application to postnatal mammalian retina. BioTechniques 40(29–30):32Google Scholar
- 23.Ligasová A, Strunin D, Liboska R, Rosenberg I, Koberna K (2012) Atomic Scissors: A New Method of Tracking the 5-Bromo-2′-Deoxyuridine-Labeled DNA In Situ. PLoS ONE 7(12):e52584Google Scholar