Examination of Galectin Localization Using Confocal Microscopy
Confocal microscopy provides a unique modality to examine the expression and localization of biomolecules in a variety of settings. Using this technique, an image is acquired from the focal plane of the objective using focused laser light, making it possible to work within the resolution limit of the optical system. In addition, by acquiring multiple images from a variety of focal planes, stacked series of images can provide clear spatial localization of a probed structure or protein. We describe herein the immunofluorescence methods for galectin staining in frozen sections of tissue for galectin localization using confocal microscopy.
Key wordsConfocal microscopy Galectin Tissue Antibody Immunofluorescence
We thank the technicians Maria Vani Alves (Department of Cell Biology and Pathogenic agents from Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto-University of São Paulo) and Márcia Sirlene Zardin Graeff (Research Center-Faculty of Odontology of Bauru-University of São Paulo) for their invaluable assistance.
The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of our department.
- 1.Poland PA, Rondanino C, Kinlough CL, Heimburg-Molinaro J, Arthur CM, Stowell SR, Smith DF, Hughey RP (2011) Identification and characterization of endogenous galectins expressed in Madin Darby canine kidney cells. J Biol Chem 286(8):6780–6790. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M110.179002 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Murphy PV, Andre S, Gabius HJ (2013) The third dimension of reading the sugar code by lectins: design of glycoclusters with cyclic scaffolds as tools with the aim to define correlations between spatial presentation and activity. Molecules 18(4):4026–4053. doi: 10.3390/molecules18044026 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Dias-Baruffi M, Stowell SR, Song SC, Arthur CM, Cho M, Rodrigues LC, Montes MA, Rossi MA, James JA, McEver RP, Cummings RD (2010) Differential expression of immunomodulatory galectin-1 in peripheral leukocytes and adult tissues and its cytosolic organization in striated muscle. Glycobiology 20(5):507–520. doi: 10.1093/glycob/cwp203 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yang RY, Yu L, Graham JL, Hsu DK, Lloyd KC, Havel PJ, Liu FT (2011) Ablation of a galectin preferentially expressed in adipocytes increases lipolysis, reduces adiposity, and improves insulin sensitivity in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(46):18696–18701. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1109065108 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Stowell SR, Karmakar S, Arthur CM, Ju T, Rodrigues LC, Riul TB, Dias-Baruffi M, Miner J, McEver RP, Cummings RD (2009) Galectin-1 induces reversible phosphatidylserine exposure at the plasma membrane. Mol Biol Cell 20(5):1408–1418. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E08-07-0786 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Rondanino C, Poland PA, Kinlough CL, Li H, Rbaibi Y, Myerburg MM, Al-bataineh MM, Kashlan OB, Pastor-Soler NM, Hallows KR, Weisz OA, Apodaca G, Hughey RP (2011) Galectin-7 modulates the length of the primary cilia and wound repair in polarized kidney epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Ren Physiol 301(3):F622–F633. doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00134.2011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Stowell SR, Henry KL, Smith NH, Hudson KE, Halverson GR, Park JC, Bennett AM, Girard-Pierce KR, Arthur CM, Bunting ST, Zimring JC, Hendrickson JE (2013) Alloantibodies to a paternally derived RBC KEL antigen lead to hemolytic disease of the fetus/newborn in a murine model. Blood 122(8):1494–1504. doi: 10.1182/blood-2013-03-488874 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Stowell SR, Cho M, Feasley CL, Arthur CM, Song X, Colucci JK, Karmakar S, Mehta P, Dias-Baruffi M, McEver RP, Cummings RD (2009) Ligand reduces galectin-1 sensitivity to oxidative inactivation by enhancing dimer formation. J Biol Chem 284(8):4989–4999. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M808925200 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 27.Dias-Baruffi M, Stowell SR, Song SC, Arthur CM, Cho M, Rodrigues LC, Montes MA, Rossi MA, James JA, McEver RP, Cummings RD (2009) Differential expression of immunomodulatory galectin-1 in peripheral leukocytes and adult tissues and its cytosolic organization in striated muscle. Glycobiology 20(5):507–520CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Rogerio AP, Cardoso CR, Fontanari C, Souza MA, Afonso-Cardoso SR, Silva EV, Koyama NS, Basei FL, Soares EG, Calixto JB, Stowell SR, Dias-Baruffi M, Faccioli LH (2007) Anti-asthmatic potential of a D-galactose-binding lectin from Synadenium carinatum latex. Glycobiology 17(8):795–804PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar