- 3.9k Downloads
Existing diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for central nervous system (CNS) disorders are restricted to access the CNS. Meanwhile, the blood–brain barrier (BBB) hinders the delivery of many potentially important diagnostic and therapeutic agents to the brain. To resolve these problems, various nanoformulation technologies were developed to improve the delivery of diagnostic and therapeutic agents into CNS. In this chapter, we discussed the manufacture, characteristics, and potential problems of widely used nanoformulations including liposomes, polymeric micelles, and nanosuspensions. We expect that this chapter would provide novel nanoformulation tools for the basic and clinical research of neuroscientists.
KeywordsNanoformulations Liposomes Micelles Nanosuspensions
- Balkundi S, Nowacek AS, Roy U, Martinez-Skinner A, McMillan J, Gendelman HE (2010) Methods development for blood borne macrophage carriage of nanoformulated antiretroviral drugs. J Vis Exp (46): 2460Google Scholar
- Kanmogne GD, Singh S, Roy U, Liu XM, McMillan J, Gorantla S, Balkundi S, Smith N, Alnouti Y, Gautum N, Zhou Y, Poluektova L, Kabanov A, Bronich T, Gendelman HE (2012) Mononuclear phagocyte intercellular crosstalk facilitates transmission of cell targeted nanoformulated antiretroviral drugs to human brain endothelial cells. Int J Nanomedicine 7:2373–2388CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Krauze MT, Noble CO, Kawaguchi T, Drummond D, Kirpotin DB, Yamashita Y, Kullberg E, Forsayeth J, Park JW, Bankiewicz KS (2007) Convection-enhanced delivery of nanoliposomal CPT-11 (irinotecan) and PEGylated liposomal doxorubicin (Doxil) in rodent intracranial brain tumor xenografts. Neuro Oncol 9:393–403CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nowacek AS, McMillan J, Miller R, Anderson A, Rabinow B, Gendelman HE (2010) Nanoformulated antiretroviral drug combinations extend drug release and antiretroviral responses in HIV-1-infected macrophages: implications for neuroAIDS therapeutics. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 5:592–601CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nowacek AS, Balkundi S, McMillan J, Roy U, Martinez-Skinner A, Mosley RL, Kanmogne G, Kabanov AV, Bronich T, Gendelman HE (2011) Analyses of nanoformulated antiretroviral drug charge, size, shape and content for uptake, drug release and antiviral activities in human monocyte-derived macrophages. J Control Release 150:204–211CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar