pp 1-15 | Cite as
Analysis of Hematopoietic Niche in the Mouse Embryo
The development, differentiation, and maturation of hematopoietic cells are regulated by the intrinsic and extrinsic regulation. Intrinsic activity is affected by cell autonomous gene expression and extrinsic factors originate from the so-called niche surrounding the hematopoietic cells. It remains unclear why the hematopoietic sites are shifted during embryogenesis. Flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry enable us to study embryonic regulation of hematopoietic niche in the mouse embryo.
KeywordsEmbryo Hematopoietic Mouse Niche
We thank the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare; and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for grant support.
- 1.Sugiyama D, Inoue-Yokoo T, Fraser ST, Kulkeaw K, Mizuochi C, Horio Y (2011) Embryonic regulation of the mouse hematopoietic niche. ScientificWorldJournal 11:1770–1780Google Scholar
- 2.Swain A, Inoue T, Tan KS, Nakanishi Y, Sugiyama D (2014) Intrinsic and extrinsic regulation of mammalian hematopoiesis in the fetal liver. Histol Histopathol 29:1077–1082Google Scholar
- 3.Suire C, Brouard N, Hirschi K, Simmons PJ (2012) Isolation of the stromal-vascular fraction of mouse bone marrow markedly enhances the yield of clonogenic stromal progenitors. Blood 119:e86–e95Google Scholar
- 4.Sasaki T, Mizuochi C, Horio Y, Nakao K, Akashi K, Sugiyama D (2010) Regulation of hematopoietic cell clusters in the placental niche through SCF/Kit signaling in embryonic mouse. Development 137:3941–3952Google Scholar
- 5.Sasaki T, Tanaka Y, Kulkeaw K, Yumine-Takai A, Tan KS, Nishinakamura R, Ishida J, Fukamizu A, Sugiyama D (2016) Embryonic intra-aortic clusters undergo myeloid differentiation mediated by mesonephros-derived CSF1 in mouse. Stem Cell Rev 12:530–542Google Scholar
- 6.Sugiyama D, Kulkeaw K, Mizuochi C, Horio Y, Okayama S (2011) Hepatoblasts comprise a niche for fetal liver erythropoiesis through cytokine production. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 410:301–306Google Scholar
- 7.Sugiyama D, Kulkeaw K, Mizuochi C (2013) TGF-beta-1 up-regulates extra-cellular matrix production in mouse hepatoblasts. Mech Dev 130:195–206Google Scholar
- 8.Brouard N, Jost C, Matthias N, Albrecht C, Egard S, Gandhi P, Strassel C, Inoue T, Sugiyama D, Simmons PJ et al (2017) A unique microenvironment in the developing liver supports the expansion of megakaryocyte progenitors. Blood Adv 1:1854–1866Google Scholar
- 9.Tan KS, Kulkeaw K, Nakanishi Y, Sugiyama D (2017) Expression of cytokine and extracellular matrix mRNAs in fetal hepatic stellate cells. Genes Cells 22:836–844Google Scholar
- 10.Tan KS, Inoue T, Kulkeaw K, Tanaka Y, Lai MI, Sugiyama D (2015) Localized SCF and IGF-1 secretion enhances erythropoiesis in the spleen of murine embryos. Biol Open 4:596–607Google Scholar
- 11.Tanaka Y, Inoue-Yokoo T, Kulkeaw K, Yanagi-Mizuochi C, Shirasawa S, Nakanishi Y, Sugiyama D (2015) Embryonic hematopoietic progenitor cells reside in muscle before bone marrow hematopoiesis. PLoS One 10:e0138621Google Scholar