pp 1-10 | Cite as
Total Protein Content Determination of Microalgal Biomass by Elemental Nitrogen Analysis and a Dedicated Nitrogen-to-Protein Conversion Factor
Accurately determining protein content is important in the valorization of algal biomass in food, feed, and fuel markets, where these values are used for component balance calculations. Conversion of elemental nitrogen to protein is a well-accepted and widely practiced method, but depends on developing an applicable nitrogen-to-protein conversion factor. The methodology reported here covers the quantitative assessment of the total nitrogen content of algal biomass and a description of the methodology that underpins the accurate de novo calculation of a dedicated nitrogen-to-protein conversion factor.
KeywordsAmino acids Nitrogen analysis Nitrogen-to-protein conversion factor Protein
This work was supported by the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No. DE-AC36-08GO28308 with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Funding provided by U.S. DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Bioenergy Technologies Office. The U.S. Government retains and the publisher, by accepting the article for publication, acknowledges that the U.S. Government retains a nonexclusive, paid-up, irrevocable, worldwide license to publish or reproduce the published form of this work, or allow others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes.
- 1.Becker EW (1994) Microalgae—biotechnology and microbiology. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lourenço S, Barbarino E (1998) Distribution of intracellular nitrogen in marine microalgae: basis for the calculation of specific nitrogen-to-protein conversion factors. J Phycol 811:798–811Google Scholar
- 5.Koru E (2012) Earth food Spirulina (Arthrospira): production and quality standarts. In: El-Samragy Y (ed) Food addit. InTech, Rijeka, pp 191–203Google Scholar
- 9.Redinbaugh MG, Turley RB (1986) Adaptation of the bicinchoninic acid protein assay for use with microtiter plates and sucrose gradient fractions. Anal Biochem 153:267–271Google Scholar
- 11.AOAC (1997) Amino acids in feeds. Official Method 994.12Google Scholar
- 13.Lourenço SO, Barbarino E, Marquez UML, Aidar E (1998) Distribution of intracellular nitrogen in marine microalgae: Basis for the calculation of specific nitrogen-to-protein conversion factors. J Phycol 34:798–811Google Scholar
- 16.AOAC (1990) Protein (Crude) in animal feed: combustion method. Official Method 990.03Google Scholar
- 17.Ball MF, Meloni CR, Diaz MJ et al (1966) Nitrogen measurement in biological fluids and bone by an automatic Dumas technique. Anal Biochem 16:343–348Google Scholar
- 18.Kjeldahl J (1883) Neue Methode zur Bestimmung des Stickstoffs in organischen Körpern. Zeitschrift fur Anal Chemie 22:366–383Google Scholar