Using Co-immunoprecipitation and Shotgun Mass Spectrometry for Protein-Protein Interaction Identification in Cultured Human Oligodendrocytes
Protein complexes are responsible for major biological processes in cells. Identifying a protein’s interaction partners reveals many different aspects related to the target such as its function, regulation, and mechanisms of action. Co-immunoprecipitation (co-IP) followed by shotgun proteomics is a powerful technique for capturing and identifying endogenous protein complexes. Although it is a simple concept, performing the experiment can be challenging due to the number of steps and the diversity of available protocols. Here we present a certified and detailed protocol to perform co-IP experiments in cultured human oligodendrocytes cells.
Key wordsCo-immunoprecipitation Mass spectrometry Protein-protein interaction Interactome Proteomics
Research was funded by FAPESP (São Paulo Research Foundation, grants 2016/18715-4 and 2016/07948-8).
- 4.Tourette C, Li B, Bell R, O’Hare S, Kaltenbach LS, Mooney SD, Hughes RE (2014) A large scale huntingtin protein interaction network implicates Rho GTPase signaling pathways in Huntington disease. J Biol Chem 289(10):6709–6726. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M113.523696CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Song C, Shieh CH, Wu YS, Kalueff A, Gaikwad S, Su KP (2016) The role of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids in the treatment of major depression and Alzheimer’s disease: acting separately or synergistically? Prog Lipid Res 62:41–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plipres.2015.12.003CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cassoli JS, Guest PC, Malchow B, Schmitt A, Falkai P, Martins-de-Souza D (2015) Disturbed macro-connectivity in schizophrenia linked to oligodendrocyte dysfunction: from structural findings to molecules. NPJ Schizophr 1:15034. https://doi.org/10.1038/npjschz.2015.34CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Free RB, Hazelwood LA, Sibley DR (2009) Identifying novel protein-protein interactions using co-immunoprecipitation and mass spectroscopy. Curr Protoc Neurosci Chapter 5:Unit 5.28. https://doi.org/10.1002/0471142301.ns0528s46
- 12.Markham K, Bai Y, Schmitt-Ulms G (2007) Co-immunoprecipitations revisited: an update on experimental concepts and their implementation for sensitive interactome investigations of endogenous proteins. Anal Bioanal Chem 389(2):461–473. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-007-1385-xCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Edgar Nägele, Martin Vollmer, Patric Hörth, Cornelia Vad, (2014) 2D-LC/MS techniques for the identification of proteins in highly complex mixtures. Expert Review of Proteomics 1 (1):37–46Google Scholar